will "Reset this PC" fix anything?

TLDR:

- Updated Windows 10

- Windows security and defender stopped working

- Can't install anything

- Will "Reset this PC" give me a fresh start?

- If not, what do you recommend I do?

The long story:

Hi, I updated windows 10 and lost access to windows security. Basically, it kept telling me that I need to turn my firewall on (never turned it off in the first place) so I tried opening windows security to do that.

Series of ensuing events:

1. Windows security would crash every time I opened it

2. Tried numerous "solutions" but now whenever I try opening windows security, I get this

Also had this issue:

3, Downloaded Norton 360 for their firewall since I lost access to windows firewall

4. Can no longer download or install anything, I get error codes like 0x80073D0A

5. Apparently there are no corrupted system files, I checked with the system file checker

I'm just wondering if doing the "Reset this PC" thing will literally reset everything so I can start fresh? I don't mind losing my apps and drivers etc, I can just re-install them.

I guess what I really want to know is if "Reset this PC" will fix the windows defender stuff and installation issues. Will resetting my PC basically give me a fresh slate?

Thank you very much for reading, any help is greatly appreciated because I'm honestly very lost.

Answer
Answer
Hello, how are you?
My name is Paloma B., I am very happy to be able to try to help you in the best possible way.

This is an open community, whenever you need you can share the problem so that possible repairs are suggested.

Yes, Factory Reset will completely erase everything, and make Windows as clean as in the beginning, that way, you can start over.

If in doubt, you can apply the reset in the following ways.

First I suggest you try resetting Windows directly in the settings.

1. Press Windows+I;
2. Select Update and Security;
3. On the left side menu click on Recovery;
4. In the Restore PC part, select the Start option. Then a new Windows window will open.
5. Choose "Remove All" -> Next;
6. Just wait for the reset and then reconfigure your Windows your way.

If by any chance you cannot access the reset from within Windows due to current problems, you will need to follow the procedure below.

Step 1

Create installation media on another computer

Follow the guidelines on the link below, please:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Step 2

Configure in your computer's BIOS to start via the USB installation.

***If you have any questions on how to start the USB installation, you can refer to this guide please.
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/bios-uefi-setu...

1. Boot with the Pen Drive;

2. When the installation window appears, click Repair your computer;

3. Click Troubleshooting;

4. Advanced options;

5. Click Restore PC > Choose "Remove All".

I await news.

If these procedures helped you in any way, please click on "I solved my problem" and also mark as an answer, so you can help others users.

We will always be available for whatever you need!

----------
Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 25, 2024 Views 6,356 Applies to: