Wifi connection problems with Windows 10

Since installing Windows 10 I am having strange frustrating problems with wifi and other things that I did NOT have problems with before. I am unable to contact Tech support - there is no chat available and no call backs available (thanks Microsoft for the dodgy non existant tech help)

EVERY time I start my laptop I am unable to get wifi unless I immediately re-boot.

Also, if the screensaver cuts in or if the laptop goes to sleep, I loose connection to the wifi and it tells me there are no connections available. The ONLY way to get back onto my wifi is to reboot the laptop.

I am also constantly getting a box on the screen telling me McAfee is disabled. When I click on the enable it does not change.

If I go to the task bar and click or double click on McAfee it will NOT open on the screen. The ONLY way I can open it to see if I do have protection or to check on scans etc is to right click on the McAfee icon and select 'open McAfee Security Centre".

I am also often getting a little message appearing from the right hand side at the bottom of the screen that simply says Virus Protection and it has a X next to it. I have no idea what that is it has no instructions. I have ignored it . This morning I clicked on it and nothing happened.

Can anybody give me a heads up about these problems?  It is extremely frustrating and I am getting sick of having to re start my laptop all the time . Any help would be appreciated.

Gemma (Australia)

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10. I regret the inconvenience you are facing.

To diagnose and resolve this issue, try the following methods.

Method 1: Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. It will scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows. To run the SFC scan, refer to the Microsoft article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2: Clean Boot

We recommend you place the computer in a clean boot state to determine if other programs are interfering with this application. To do this, see this article on how to clean start your computer:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

(Holds good for Windows 10)

Note: After troubleshooting, in a Clean Boot mode, follow the suggestions under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot”.

Method 3 Update Drivers

Refer to the following article and update all the drivers available.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

In addition to that, I would suggest you to uninstall Mcafee and then reinstall it.

Important Note:Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable/uninstall your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable/uninstall it to install other software, you should re-enable/re-install it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Regards,
Sahil Bali

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Sahil

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

I have now tried everything you suggested in your reply but unfortunately nothing has helped and I am still having problems, including a new one.  The Wifi will be showing that I am connected (with full bars or 3/4) but I won't be able to connect to the internet and Windows will tell me that I am not connected as there are no connections available... confusing and frustrating !

The SFC revealed there was no problem.

I checked for driver updates and it showed I was up to date.

I uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee and I did a clean boot.

After doing these things you suggested, it then took me approx 20 mins to get the internet as I was being told I could not connect as no connections were available yet my wifi was showing I was connected with strong connection.

I have also found that sometimes my wifi won't connect and it tells me that there are no connections available at those time I have to restart the laptop and then it will connect.

I had no problems before installing windows 10.

Is there anything else I can try?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am finding now, that the ONLY way I can now connect to the internet is to use the troubleshooting and it tells me that if found a problem with the adapter and that it has fixed the problem.

HOWEVER, if the laptop goes to sleep, the screensaver cuts in or if I turn the laptop off, I loose wifi and have to do the troubleshooting all over again.

I had to do this several times last night and several times again this morning. 

I have now changed the screensaver settings to help alleviate some of the problem but the problem still remains.  I am also finding it quite questionable that I am constantly being told by the trouble shooter that the problem is fixed, when OBVIOUSLY IT IS NOT FIXED.

FFS will SOMEBODY tell me what is wrong and how I can fix this - there was NO problem on windows8 all this started after downloading Windows 10.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To be honest, my suggestions will probably not solve your problems but take a look at the following:

- Maybe your Ethernet adaptor is connected via USB. Go to device manager, USB Serial Bus controllers and for each USB Root Hub, go to properties-Power management and be sure to turn off the option to turn off the device to save power. I never had a problem with my Ethernet adaptor getting turned off but did have a problem having my keyboard and mouse controller getting turned off.

- At about the time I upgraded to Win 10, I also downloaded the latest version of BOINC and allowed it to install Oracle Virtual Box. Virtual  Box created an Ethernet adapter. I had a problem getting my wifi to automatically successfully connect until I uninstalled Virtual Box and got rid of that Ethernet adapter. While you are in device manager, take a look at the network adapters to see if there is something unexpected there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am finding now, that the ONLY way I can now connect to the internet is to use the troubleshooting and it tells me that if found a problem with the adapter and that it has fixed the problem.

HOWEVER, if the laptop goes to sleep, the screensaver cuts in or if I turn the laptop off, I loose wifi and have to do the troubleshooting all over again.

I had to do this several times last night and several times again this morning. 

I have now changed the screensaver settings to help alleviate some of the problem but the problem still remains.  I am also finding it quite questionable that I am constantly being told by the trouble shooter that the problem is fixed, when OBVIOUSLY IT IS NOT FIXED.

FFS will SOMEBODY tell me what is wrong and how I can fix this - there was NO problem on windows8 all this started after downloading Windows 10.

upgraded last night and I'm already regret it I cannot connect  to  my wifi

I have been through all the checks even contacted my network provider

Help please

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly the same here.  Getting ready to uninstall 10.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I reverted back to windows 7 and connected straight away to my wifi. There must be a flaw in the new Windows software and until it's fixed I stick to what I knows works 

99 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. It started 8/12, prior to that it was working well. I have found that if I turn WIFI off and then back on I can connect for a few minutes.

Everything was fine until I upgraded to Windows 10 on 8/1.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/news/457707/Windows-10-Break-Wifi-Connection-How-To-Fix-It

After upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows, a number of PC owners have reported that their wireless networks are no longer available.

Worse still, restarting and reinstalling the wireless network adapter driver several times does not appear to solve the infuriating issue.

According to Microsoft, the wifi problem is triggered by unsupported VPN software present during the Windows 10 upgrade.

The issue can also stop a wired Ethernet connection from working properly.

"The issue may occur if older VPN software is installed on Windows 8.1 and is present during the upgrade to Windows 10," Microsoft has explained.

"Older software versions contain a Filter Driver (the Deterministic Network Enhancer) which is not properly upgraded, leading to the issue."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I  had all of the internet problems that you stated and got quite fed up with my laptop being in airplane mode whenever it was turned on. I spent hours trying to get wifi working. My McAfee Security Protection was all over the place and seemed to be stuck in a loop at one stage, doing scan after scan after scan until I stopped it. When I eventually got the internet working I also kept having warnings that just about every website I went on was 'risky' (including the Microsoft website). Then when Airplane mode took over again and wouldn't allow wifi to run, I decided enough was enough and restored my laptop back to 8.1.

I have since tried 'upgrading' to Windows 10 again, but lo and behold, I got the same problems. Airplane mode was immediately active and my laptop was reluctant to let wifi start. So I have restored to Windows 8.1 again and am not going to try Windows 10 again until someone can convince me that it is working properly. I refuse to waste any more of my time messing about with it.

David C Grimsdell

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 24, 2022 Views 26,867 Applies to: