Question

Q: Why would Microsoft download/install over 20,000 updates at once?

There is at least one other post that indicates our mega download has happened to others, but I have my own questions to ask.

9-11-14 - Started my pc in morning and read on screen that "_ _ _ of 21652 updates" were being installed. The "updating" process only took about 3-4 minutes. I noticed no problems during the following hours. Shut down after 6 hours and left off for a few hours. Booted up in evening. Web things seemed slow running, even going from one Opera browser tab to another slowed significantly.

Ran AVG virus scan which found and removed "Downloader Generic," "a malicious application that allows hackers to remotely access you computer system letting them modify files, steal personal information and install more unwanted software."

I seem to remember experiencing thousands of "updates" upon booting at least once before.  

My wife's computer (in the next room, on our local network) had the same (or similar) thousands of downloads when she booted up this morning. Subsequently, she has done two AVG scans - no threats found.

Things appear normal today. My download/install record shows 11 on 9-11-14. See below.

Questions:
Is Microsoft really downloading more than 20,000 updates at one time?

If Microsoft is doing this to me and my wife, I assume it isn't uncommon. But if this is true, why isn't there an uproar on the web?

Is it likely that the Download Generic trojan horse was part of the mega download?

Thanks.

Installations date: 9/11/2014 -
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2894844)

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2985461)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 on Windows 7, Vista, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 x64 (KB2972216)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2977629)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2972211)

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2978092)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 and 4.5.1 on Windows 7, Vista, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 x64 (KB2894854)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2973112)

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2982378)

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2977728)

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2952664)  

No failed updates.

My setup-
Windows7 Professional (clean installed)
Microsoft Windows
Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pad: 1)

Internet Explorer 11
Version: 11.0.9600.17280
Update Versions:11.0.12 (K02977629) Product ID: 00150-20000-00003-AA459
Install new versions automatically

AVG Internet Security
Product Information
AVG version: 2014.0.4765
Virus database version: 4015/8201 (Friday, September 12, 2014, 10:16 AM)
LinkScanner version: 2436
AVG Security Toolbar version: N/A
Anti-Spam version: 6.5.17
Installed Components
AVG Accelerator, AVG Advisor, Anti-Rootkit, Anti-Spam, Anti-Spyware, AntiVirus, Firewall, Identity Protection, Online Shield, PC Analyzer, Resident Shield, Surf-Shield
Installed Email Protection
Personal Email Scanner
System Information
Operating system: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7 (64-bid Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 fd 2.93GHz
Total / Free memory: 3965 / 1350 MB

I have no idea why that number of updates was reported. There have never been 20,000 updates for Windows.
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same thing occur with ___  of 20,000+ update reported installed on reboot.  Then update

KB2972216 would not install correctly.

Sorry this didn't help.

Finally!!! Someone else this has actually happened to.  Last October 2014 I had the same event happen however I think my updates were more like 24,156.  Also Window 7.  Windows gave no indication that updates were being downloaded or installed that day when I shut down. 

On the next boot, it opened with a stretched-out XP-looking background that said "Please wait while windows installs 24,156 updates" and instead of saying underneath "Configuring 1 of 24,156, 2 of 24,156" and so on, it was showing actual registry keys and files as they were being installed or changed.   Shortly after ,we began experiencing remote connections and proxy servers and our router was engaged in activity even when the machines were powered off.   I reformatted all machines and replaced the router and within a week, it happened all over again with the 24,156 updates along with someone connected remotely by a proxy server. 

I even resorted to replacing my hdd, and it happened again (March 2015).  We ended up sending our machines to a local shop and he saw "no evidence of active virus" but reformatted and reinstalled windows. As soon as we brought them home and connected to the internet, you guessed it..... 24,156 updates!!!  MSE, malwarebytes, rouge killer, FRST and avast have found no threats.

This problem came just after a neighbor was attempting to hack my Wi-Fi signal, and said as much.  We have since disabled our Wi-Fi and connect with Ethernet.  Happened again anyway.

I am almost convinced that some Wi-Fi signal hack program or app is being privately passed around that writes in the bios or boot sector/hardware partition that survives hdd replacement.  Maybe that's why AV programs cant find it yet.  It's already survived 2 reformats and a new HDD - and if it's a virus... I still have it! 

Sorry this didn't help.

I also experienced more than 20,000 automatic updates for Windows 7 Friday night. A Norton scan showed no problems and a Windows Defender scan said Definition updates were found on the Microsoft Security Portal and then, No unwanted or harmful software detected. I posted a question for the community in the early hours of Saturday morning, but have had no responses. Just wondering if any of you learned more about the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this happen again recently. Unfortunately, I can't remember the details, but either at boot up or shut down I was instructed to wait until thousands of updates (think it was 14,000+) were initiated or verified or something. We recently experienced a similar action on another computer here (and maybe on our third machine). It is hard to keep track because we have become somewhat desensitized by the re-occurrences and the fact that on this forum smarter people than me seem to have no way to get to the bottom of this or know what preventative action might be taken. 

And, as I continue to be amazed that more people aren't kvetching about these mega downloads, an alternative thought has filled an uncharted niche inside my skull... the possibility that we may be part of some exclusive group that (as in the movie Contact) have been chosen to receive a vast amount of data... downloaded to our computers, from somewhere in the Ardorfian Sector or beyond, that will enable us to build a huge wheel-like device to initiate a super-beneficial paradigm shift here on earth... **if** we can find a Beneficent Billionaire who will finance the project. Holey Moley! Second amazing thought: Could this be Donald Trump's hidden plan? 

I have heard that angels walk among us in the most unlikely disguises - this to test our mettle - but der Donald?!? Who woulda thought...

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for brightening my day BloominFrank. I will await further contact. Just hope I don't end up building a mountain in my living room in the meantime! If anyone has any answers I would love to hear them.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 509 Last updated: May 5, 2018 Applies to: