Why TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Local Service is always set to Automatic?

When I checked Local Services in my system, I always see TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Local service is set to Automatic from the time i installed Windows Operating system (any windows OS).

1. I want to know why it is set to Automatic.
  2. If any application is depented on that service why can't it turn on when it eneded and turn off after the task completes?
  3. If it is importent to start that service, why it is need? What programs by default use that service from first use of Windows OS?
Answer
Answer

Hi Aditya,

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service provides support for the NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) service and NetBIOS name resolution for clients on the network, therefore enabling users to share files, print, and log on to the network. If this service is stopped, these functions might be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

If any other services depend on TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service, its startup type is set to Automatic. The networking programs use this service.

We see Andreas has also answered to your questions. See Why TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Local Service is always set to Automatic?

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 28, 2024 Views 7,523 Applies to: