why is there a shield on my desktop icon

I see a shield symbol attached to one of my program icon shortcuts on my desktop.  I understand it to mean I'm supposed to run as administrator.  But I have never needed to do this before and don't know why I'm being asked to now.  IF you know why I'm being asked to now, or why it was put on the icon, or if I"m incorrect about the symbol asking me to run as administrator, then please tell me.
Answer
Answer

Hi,

1.  On which program icon are you facing this issue?

2.  Have you made any changes to your computer recently?

This happens when the program you have installed is from a unknown source (not trusted source) or if the program is trying to make any unauthorized  changes to your computer. I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Disable User Account Control and check what happens.

Turn User Account Control on or off

Refer: Guided Help: Adjust User Account Control settings in Windows 7

Note: Make sure that to enable UAC back after your troubleshooting. User Account Control (UAC) can help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. UAC notifies you when changes are going to be made to your computer that requires administrator-level permission. These types of changes can affect the security of your computer or can affect settings for other people that use the computer. We recommend that you leave UAC on to help make your computer secure.

Method 2: Enable the Run as Administrator option and check if it helps.

a)      Right click on the program you want to set the option “Run as Administrator”.

b)      Go to Properties.

c)       Under Compatibility Tab, Check the option “Run as Administrator” under the privilege level.

d)      Click on Apply and OK.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 13, 2024 Views 21,716 Applies to: