why in March 2019 I cant see my other network computers

In the first 3 weeks of March 2019, I could see all my networked computers.  All of sudden, at the end of March 2019, I can no longer see them.  Actually I had been accessing a file on another network computer, closed the file; then wanted to access a different file on that computer --- and in file explores "the other network computer (that I had just access)" had disappeared.

I checked all the different "services" (as previously been reported on the internet that should be "Automatic" and running) and they were running on both computers.

So now, what has to be done to see my networked computers?

Question Info

Last updated August 22, 2019 Views 256 Applies to:

Hello Uncle Bern,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To address the concern, kindly help us with the following questions.

1. May I know the version of Windows that is installed on your computer? (To check that, type winver in the Start menu and press Enter).

2. Are there any third party applications installed on your PC?

3. Do you read any error message while accessing the computer on network sharing?

Kindly check with the below suggestions and see if it helps.

Method 1: Turn on Network discovery.

• Go to Control Panel from the Start menu and select Network and internet.

• Click on Network and sharing to select Change advance sharing settings from the left pane.

• Tick the options -

> Turn on network discovery.

> Turn on file and printer sharing.

> Allow windows to manage home group connection (recommended).

> Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders.

> Use 128-bit encryption to help protect files sharing connections (recommended).

> Turn off password protected sharing.

Method 2: Turn on SMB feature from Control Panel.

• Press Windows + R keys on your Keyboard to type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter.

• Click on Turn Windows Features On or Off on the left hand pane.

• Scroll down to SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support and put a check mark on SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/ CIFS Server. If the boxes are already ticked, please uncheck the box and check it again.

• Reboot the machine when prompted.

Method 3: Also, make sure that the below mentioned services have setup the Startup type to Automatic in Services.msc for network sharing -

• Function Discovery Provider Host (FDPHost)

• Function Discovery Resource Publication (FDResPub)

• Network Connections (NetMan

• UPnP Device Host (UPnPHost)

• Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRPSvc)

• Peer Networking Grouping (P2PSvc)

• Peer Networking Identity Manager (P2PIMSvc)

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mala, thank you for the information.  I originally had all the settings set for methods 1, 2 and 3; but some had gotten changed.  After resetting them and rebooting, I was able to see my Desktop computer (Windows 10 Home, version 1803) and my laptop computer (Windows 10 Home, version 1809).  From my laptop I used file explorer to check the "Network" and some files on my Desktop computer.  

This means I could see both computers under the heading of "Network" in file explorer.  Then I went to SyncToy 2.1 to set up a new set of folder for synchronization, but canceled out when I realized there was a conflict.  I then went back to file explorer (I had closed it, so I had to re-open file explorer) and under "Network", I only had my laptop showing -- the Desktop computer was not there.  Tried F5 to refresh, but no changed  Rechecked all items under methods 1, 2 and 3 -- all were still set.

So, I am confused as to how a connected network computer can just disappear, when neither computer had been rebooted?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Uncle Bern,

Thank you for the response. Try the steps listed below and check if it works.

• Press ‘Win + R’ keys on the keyboard together to open the Run dialog box and type the following into the same: netcfg -d

• Wait until the command is executed, open File Explorer and check if the desktop is visible.

If that doesn’t help, I recommend you to disable Antivirus Software and check if the issue persists.

Disable Antivirus or security software disclaimer: If you have Windows 10, you’ll get the latest antivirus protection with Windows Defender. When you start up Windows 10 for the first time, Windows Defender is on and actively helping to protect your PC by scanning for malware (malicious software), viruses, and security threats. Windows Defender uses real-time protection to scan everything you download or run on your PC. Windows Update downloads updates for Windows Defender automatically to help keep your PC safe and protect it from threats.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried the "netcfg -d" command on my laptop.  My desktop computer briefly showed up in file explorer, then it disappeared.

Now, I have two desktop computers running on my network plus the laptop.  From my main desktop computer (Windows 10 Home, version 1803) I can see the other desktop computer *Windows Vista) and the laptop ((Windows 10 Home, version 1809).  However, from my laptop, I can only see the laptop itself.  The laptop does not see any other networked computers.

Guess I will have to wait for the desktop computer to upgrade to Version 1809.  The old desktop computer running Windows Vista is NOT a concern.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply, Uncle Bern.

You may want to try the steps listed below and check if it works.

Enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP on Windows.

I would suggest you to check the ‘NetBIOS’ settings on all your systems. The Network Basic Input Output System provides services related to the session layer within the Network model to allow effective communication between different computers in a Local Area Network. You can follow the steps below to enable the NetBIOS.

• Press the Windows key and R key together, this will open the Run dialogue box.

• Type ncpa.cpl and press Enter.

• Right-click on the network connection you are using, you will get a drop down menu, select Properties.

• Click on the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/TPv4).

• Under General tab, click on the Advanced button.

• Click on the WINS tab and select the Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

• Click on OK, restart the system and check if you have an access to the files on the Windows 10 system.

If the issue persists, I would recommend you to perform In-place upgrade on your laptop by following the thread on How to perform an In-place Upgrade with Windows 10 Step-by-Step Guide suggested by PaulSey.  

Regards,

Mala S

Sorry this didn't help.

Following the steps to Enable NETBIOS.  Allowed my to see my desktop computer (Windows 10 Home, ver 1803) from my laptop (Windows 10 Home, ver. 1809).  However, I could not access the files on the desktop computer -- until I did the following.

In the step "Click on WINS tab" I had to "uncheck" -> Enable LMHOSTS Lookup.  This is in addition to the "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".

This allowed my access from my laptop to the desktop computer, as well as access from my desktop to the laptop computer.

I hope this continues to work, as I now suspect that "SyncToy 2.1" may have been contributing to my laptop file explorer not to see the desktop.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Uncle Bern,

Thank you for the reply.

I am glad to hear that the NetBIOS suggestion was useful to you and I thank you for providing the information about how to fix it, since it might help other users with similar issues. Please feel free to contact us back, in case you face any other issues in future.

Regards,

Mala S

Sorry this didn't help.

Spent a couple of days away from home (no Internet) and when I returned my laptop could NOT see the desktop computer.  The desktop could see the laptop.  NOTE: the desktop is connected to the router through the ethernet cable and the laptop was using WiFi.

Interestingly enough, when I connected an additional ethernet cable to my laptop --> Then it could see the desktop.

Makes this issue seem to be an item between using Ethernet and WiFi on a home network.  (Please note: my desktop does not have WiFi, only the laptop.)

Sorry this didn't help.