Why does the back button in IE10 not work on some web sites?.

In the past few weeks, web sites that I have visited for many months and years no longer allow me to use to back button to return to the previous screen. No amount of pressing the back arrow works. I have to exit IE10 and return to the site and then it may work for a few times then stop.

I am running Windows 8 Pro on a Dell Studio 17 laptop. This problem just started a few weeks ago.

I have reset all browser settings to default; does not help. I can only get it to work using inprivate setting and then it works for only a few pages and then won't allow me to return to the previous page.

It is most frustrating. I have Binged and Googled for answers and the only suggestion has been the inprivate use.

Help.

Answer
Answer

This is probably the reason: 

Sometimes when you go from one web site to another a bunch of spam appears in the "Back" menu.  I don't have an example handy to tell you what it looks like, but they are funky web addresses that collect info each time you click the Back key.  You have to press Back once, twice or sometimes many times in order to get somewhere.  But if you left click your mouse over the Back arrow without releasing it, you can see the spam that has appeared between your last two legitimate web pages.  You can maneuver past them by clicking on the last good site you visited.  Or exit and re-enter as you have been doing.  I don't know of any way of preventing that spam from appearing.  Maybe somebody else has a solution.  I used to get it a lot after visiting imdb.com but I complained to them about it and they told me they have been checking into it.  It eventually stopped.  Weird stuff but it happened to me with Internet Explorer 9 but not yet with 10. 

Hope that explanation made sense.

Mike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 28, 2021 Views 1 Applies to: