Why does Microsoft Photo Viewer reduce file size after rotating a jpeg photo or giving it a star rating (Windows 7)?

Using Microsoft Photo Viewer to classify my jpeg photos after uploading them from my camera, I have noticed this behavior: if I rotate an image (say 90 degrees), file size goes down. For example, it brings a 14 MB jpeg to 13 MB. The same happens if, rather than rotating the image, I give it a star rating (say 2 stars) and then save. If I compare a star-rated photo with the original, however, there does not seem to be any difference at all.

So the question is, why did that 1 MB disappear? Did the photo lose any information or image quality? It does not seem to be the case, but then why the file size reduction?

Please find below a sample original photo and its star-rated version. Original is 3.7 MB, star-rated is 3.2 MB, although they seem identical (including meta-data).

Jpeg is a "lossy" format--every time a file is saved, it gets compressed.  This will even out sooner or later as the compression limit of the format is reached, but a small amount of loss of resolution is to be expected. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jim, thank you for your answer, but this does not seem to be my case. Indeed, I have tried cropping both the above images at the same location, then compared the files, and they seem strictly identical. So I do not seem to be losing anything, except maybe in the first save, but what it is I lose, I can't see ...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jim, thank you for your answer, but this does not seem to be my case. Indeed, I have tried cropping both the above images at the same location, then compared the files, and they seem strictly identical. So I do not seem to be losing anything, except maybe in the first save, but what it is I lose, I can't see ...

You wouldn't necessarily be able to see the difference unless the images were blown up.  They would appear the same when viewing them on a computer screen, but if you were to print them to a large format you would see a difference. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2024 Views 1,990 Applies to: