Why did network discovery STOP with the latest update to Windows 10?

Installed the latest update. Suddenly I can no longer 'discover' other Windows machines on the private network. This worked BEFORE the update.

I can see the network without ANY of the Windows machine showing? (I can see media to share but not drives?)

There appears to be a "negative improvement" (aka BUG) in the 1803 update that breaks networking machines. Take a look at this article for some insight:

2018 05 04- WINDOWS 10 APRIL UPDATE: RDP, MAPPED DRIVES BROKEN
https://www.infopackets.com/news/10330/how-fix-...
I own two computers that automatically upgraded to Windows 10 17134.1, dubbed the 'April 2018 Update'. Ever since the upgrade to 17134.1, my remote desktop (RDP) and mapped network drives no longer work. Also when I click on File Explorer -> Network to view my shares, it says it can't find the computer on the network. It's strange because I can access computer A from computer B, but not the other way around.

Short Answer: RDP turned Off (turn it on), IPV6 conflict (turn it Off). See article for details.

Standard boilerplate legalistic bafflegab disclaimer for any links to non-Microsoft websites:

The link(s) to non MS-page(s) appears to be providing accurate, safe information. I suggest you stick with the “manual” instructions. Unless I explicitly suggest it, avoid downloading their “utilities”. Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it. Sometimes they include 3rd party programs, "unwanted" programs that are automatically installed during a standard install. So, if offered, do a "custom" install and carefully read each step. One of the steps MAY give you an option to install, or NOT, "additional" programs. 99.9% of the time you don't want to let them be installed. For example, when you install Adobe Player you are given the option of installing 2 additional "free trial" programs: Potentially Unwanted Programs: MacAfee Security Scan and MacAfee Safe Connect. The option to install is turned on, you have to manually turn it off. Those are PUP's. If you click "OK"/"Next" without paying attention you get the 2 "extra" programs.

As well, watch out for ads on the site. They may advertise products that include PUPs. Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

See the support article from Microsoft about the changes with network sharing and homegroups.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/409136...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 31, 2022 Views 1,661 Applies to: