Why did my Windows 10 PC hang up at a black screen with a cursor after I replaced an SSHD with a HDD?

Since 2021, my usual desktop PC’s configuration has involved a Samsung solid-state drive (SSD) with a Windows 10 installation and a Seagate solid-state hybrid drive (SSHD). The SSHD in question is now over 10 years old. I very recently decided to replace it. Particularly since Seagate doesn’t manufacture SSHDs anymore, I decided to replace my SSHD with an Enterprise-class hard disk drive (HDD) made by Western Digital. Even though the hard drive in question is only 1 TB, I decided to use GPT instead of MBR for it. I used Robocopy to copy files from the SSHD to the HDD. (At the time, the HDD was in an external dock attached to my desktop PC by an eSATA cable. The SSHD was still inside the case for my desktop PC.) However, after I internally and physically replaced the SSHD with the HDD, my desktop PC hung up at a black screen with a cursor following the opening motherboard splash screen. (For the record, the motherboard for my desktop PC is an MSI 760GM-P33.) After trying a number of different things, I finally decided to take the HDD out and put the SSHD back in. The problem with the booting cleared up. Later on, I decided to reformat the HDD, changing the partition style from GPT to MBR. (The motherboard’s BIOS isn’t of the UEFI variety, after all.) Once again, I used Robocopy to copy files from the internally installed SSHD to the HDD while the latter was in an external dock attached to my desktop PC by an eSATA cable. After I internally and physically replaced the SSHD with the HDD yet again, my desktop PC once again hung up at a black screen following the motherboard splash screen. After once again taking the HDD out and putting the SSHD pack in, the problem with the booting cleared up once again. What do I keep doing wrong? Keep in mind that the Windows OS is installed on the Samsung SSD, not on the Seagate SSHD or the Western Digital HDD. Of course, the Samsung SSD is the boot drive.

|

And if you format the new drive, then replace the existing old drive, does it then boot?

If so was it data files you were copying/moving?

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

And if you format the new drive, then replace the existing old drive, does it then boot?

If so was it data files you were copying/moving?

Palcouk, keep in mind that I didn't replace the boot drive. Even when the Western Digital HDD was internally installed, the Samsung SSD was supposed to be the boot drive. The SSD's master boot record has apparently not been damaged.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For the record, advice that SIW2 of Windows Ten Forums gave me essentially resolved my issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 19, 2024 Views 30 Applies to: