Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?

When I right click on my files on the desktop, and look at the properties, the location isn't C:\Users\username\Desktop but C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop.

In the left pane inside Windows Explorer, clicking on This PC and then the Desktop link right below it, gives the location as C:\Users\username\OneDrive.

Is there a way to make this simply the Desktop associated with the user account, and not OneDrive?

Answer
Answer
Hi Paul

I am Dave, I will help you with this.

In Windows 10 and 11, there are usually two sets of Library folders, one set in your user folder, and the other set in that OneDrive folder.

There is a way to do this, but it involves editing the registry, because in Windows 10 and 11 the Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders in the OneDrive folder are the default

In File Explorer, go into your user folder in C:\Users

if there is not a Desktop folder, right click in there, and create a new folder and name it Desktop

Close File Explorer

Click your Start Button, type regedit and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.

Click View and make sure 'Address Bar' is turned on.

Paste this into the Address Bar at the top and hit Enter.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

In the right hand pane, double click Desktop, set its Value Data to this and click OK

%USERPROFILE%\Desktop

In the right hand pane, if {754AC886-DF64-4CBA-86B5-F7FBF4FBCEF5} exists, set its Value Data to this and click OK

%USERPROFILE%\Desktop

Close the Registry Editor, then Restart (not shut down) your PC

To tidy up, you will need to move any files that should be on your Desktop from the Desktop folder in the OneDrive folder into that Desktop folder in your user profile

If you want to do the same thing for any other folder, please let me knw, I am logging off for the night now, but I will be back first thing in the morning if you need any further help, I will check this thread first thing.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

249 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 61,526 Applies to: