Why am I unable to preview photos via Windows Photo Viewer when uploading them online?

Additional Information:

When I am uploading photos online, and right click to 'preview,' Windows Photo Viewer opens with the message: "WPV can't open this picture because you don't have the correct permission to access the file location." However, when I preview them from my Library, it works.

My computer is only 1 week old and I am somewhat unfirmiliar with Windows 7. I have uploaded photos to the computer from Nikon D6000 and Canon G11 cameras. I am trying to share photos of my recent wedding through e-mail, on facebook, and other social sites. The preview feature being unavailable is hindering this as I am having to go to my Library in a seperate location to select which to upload.

Please help me correct this issue.

Hi,

·        What do you exactly mean by I cannot preview it when uploading the photos on facebook? Are you referring to the thumbnail view in (pictures library) explorer view?

·        Does this happen with all website or only with facebook?

·        Apart from these photos are you able to upload any other photos on to facebook?

Step 1:

Check in the library what open have you selected. Follow the steps mentioned below.

a.       Open the picture’s library by clicking on the start button and selecting Documents from the list.

b.      Click on Pictures that is listed on the left side of the window to open pictures library.

c.       Click on the first icon that is present on the top right corner of the screen near help button (blue?).

d.      Select the open either ‘medium icons’, ‘large icons’ or ‘extra large icons’.

Now you will be able to see the preview in the pictures library. Try to load the photos in face book and check.

Step 2:

Check with a different photo that is present in a different folder whether you able to upload it on the website.

Step 3:

If you are able perform step 1 then, copy the photos that you want to post on the website into a new location or a USB flash drive and check whether you are able to post.

Step 4:

Check for the permissions for the photo’s that you are trying to upload. Follow the steps mentioned in the article given below.

How do I open a file if I get an access denied message?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/How-do-I-open-a-file-if-I-get-an-access-denied-message

For further reference check the article mentioned below.

Libraries: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Libraries-frequently-asked-questions

It might be that there is a problem with the site. Check with the website support team for further assistance. Check the link mentioned below.

http://www.facebook.com/help/?section=community

Thank you and Regards.           

Thahaseena M
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

·        What do you exactly mean by I cannot preview it when uploading the photos on facebook?

When I click 'browse' to upload photos online, the folders opens. I would like to be able to right-click on the photos, then select 'preview' and have the photo open with Picture Viewer.

•  Are you referring to the thumbnail view in (pictures library) explorer view?
    No. The thumbnails are visible. I would like to preview them because I have a lot of photos that are similar and it's difficult to see the details when they are thumbnails, so I would like to be able to preview them before I decide which ones to upload.

·        Does this happen with all website or only with facebook?

It happens on any website where I have to select 'browse' to upload photos.

·        Apart from these photos are you able to upload any other photos on to facebook?

Yes, I am able to upload them. I have to minimize the website and open my library in order to preview the photos and decide which one I want to use, though. It is making it more difficult because I have to do it in another window, then go back to 'browse' and go through the list again to find the photo(s) I chose to upload.

Thank you for the tips, I will try them.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Additional Information:

When I am uploading photos online, and right click to 'preview,' Windows Photo Viewer opens with the message: "WPV can't open this picture because you don't have the correct permission to access the file location." However, when I preview them from my Library, it works.

My computer is only 1 week old and I am somewhat unfirmiliar with Windows 7. I have uploaded photos to the computer from Nikon D6000 and Canon G11 cameras. I am trying to share photos of my recent wedding through e-mail, on facebook, and other social sites. The preview feature being unavailable is hindering this as I am having to go to my Library in a seperate location to select which to upload.

Please help me correct this issue.

===========================================
No guarantees...but he following Microsoft FixIt may be worth a try:

(FWIW...it's always a good idea to create a System
Restore point before installing software or updates)

Windows Photo and Slideshow Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/windows_photo_and_slideshow_diag

Good luck.....

Volunteer J - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - ***Proceed at your own risk***
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem and the fixit gizmo didn't do the trick.

Symptom:

Can use Photo Viewer to "preview" photos just fine when going from Start -> Documents -> Photos -> [right click on any photo and select] Preview. No problem.

But; this fails if, on any photo upload website (e.g., ebay, flickr), I select "Browse" then go the same path and right click on a photo file and select "Preview".  The Photo Viewer window opens and shows an error message: "...Photo Viewer does not have permissions...". 

This is so lame, it's just amazing.  There is no solution suggested nor even a link to some place to find out what is wrong with Windows 7.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem and the fixit gizmo didn't do the trick.

Symptom:

Can use Photo Viewer to "preview" photos just fine when going from Start -> Documents -> Photos -> [right click on any photo and select] Preview. No problem.

But; this fails if, on any photo upload website (e.g., ebay, flickr), I select "Browse" then go the same path and right click on a photo file and select "Preview".  The Photo Viewer window opens and shows an error message: "...Photo Viewer does not have permissions...". 

This is so lame, it's just amazing.  There is no solution suggested nor even a link to some place to find out what is wrong with Windows 7.

=======================================
I don't know the answer to this issue but would wonder if the
following article would be relevant:

Windows 7 - How to Take Ownership & Grant Permissions to
Access Files & Folder in Windows 7
http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

Volunteer J - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - ***Proceed at your own risk***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks but no.  This is just a basic Windows-is-hard-on-humans problem.  You know... the kind of thing that makes the Mac fans fall over laughing.

It seems to be that some Windows dev guide somewhere told some dev geek to not let MSIE open photos, even though they DO belong to "this" user and "this" user is the computer owner.  BUT, even worse, when it throws the security error, it doesn't give a solution. Not a switch, not a link... nothing!

So... even if it was something that could be fixed with permissions, it is still way wrongly handled by this Microsoft application.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks but no.  This is just a basic Windows-is-hard-on-humans problem.  You know... the kind of thing that makes the Mac fans fall over laughing.

It seems to be that some Windows dev guide somewhere told some dev geek to not let MSIE open photos, even though they DO belong to "this" user and "this" user is the computer owner.  BUT, even worse, when it throws the security error, it doesn't give a solution. Not a switch, not a link... nothing!

So... even if it was something that could be fixed with permissions, it is still way wrongly handled by this Microsoft application.

===============================================
Still no real answer but another thought...

I wonder if the upload is somehow being blocked by a router or a firewall?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

===============================================
Still no real answer but another thought...

I wonder if the upload is somehow being blocked by a router or a firewall?  (Volunteer J )

Thanks for continuing to consider the problem, but, no, this isn't a firewall block.  I did check that, just to be sure, but it doesn't happen that way anyhow.

The symptom is exactly as described.  "Preview" works OK when called directly from Windows Explorer context menu without an intervening step that includes a web browser.  Thinking that it might have been a virus or malware related, we completely reinstalled Windows 7. After the reinstall the problem disappeared for one session, then reappeared the next time that the computer was booted up.

1. Go to any photo upload dependent website (e.g., Flickr, eBay, ForSaleByOwner) and go to the appropriate "upload a photo" page/form at that site. 

2. Follow the links on the form to "browse" for a photo to upload, there by calling Windows' internal Explorer features.  All thumbnails are displayed correctly.

3. Right-click on any image file (document) and select "Preview".  The Windows 7 component "Photo Viewer" will open as it should, but instead of showing the preview image, it will display a message that it "does not have permissions" to open the file.  There is no solution offered.

(FYI: This is clearly a developer's message as, to real human beings it is gramattically incorrect. Messages for an interface designed by humans would not use the jargon noun "permissions".)

As you see, this happens at a point where the firewall is not involved. The communication is inside the system between the MSIE and the "Photo Viewer" application.

By the way, all permssions seem to be granted to the MSIE user.

Thanks again for your kind attention to this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, apologies for butting in on this post and it would seem no one has found a fix.

I too am having the same issue however we are in a networked environment, on some PCs we are able to preview an image before uploading it to a website however on other PCs as in the OP issue we have the same issue.

@Mike and Mrs.Karkoff have you found a solution to this issue and if so could you share with me? If not could an MVP please work with the people in this post to resolve this issue once and for all. As an MS Partner I am more that happy to go through troubleshooting steps to resolve this.

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I am also having the same problems.

When I am on facebook, ebay, or any other site where you can upload photos I will always get the "Windows Picture Viewer can't open this picture because you don't have the correct permissions to access the file location." However, when I preview them from my Picture Library, I can preview them just fine.  I have no problem with the thumbnail view, I have the problem when I right click on the thumbnail to preview it before I upload it. This is very frustrating. I see no answer has been found above still, and useless replies are being posted. All we are asking for is a solution to the problem. When I select the photos to upload, they upload with out error, it is only that I can not preview them. My firewall is not causing any problems. Surprisingly, it will let me edit the picture and rename it, but not preview it.

Here are the details:

Error occurs when trying to preview pictures when uploading them to facebook.

Browser: IE8

(This is the original OS system, I got the laptop a few months ago and I am very tech. savvy)

There is only 1 user and I am the only administrator and i'm that 1 user that does not let anyone else use my laptop. (I live with computer illiterates, sorry)

The computer has never been attacked by a virus or malicious programs or code.

Please help me with this problem, thank you very much, someone out their can help us and maybe it's you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 28, 2022 Views 4,539 Applies to: