White screen after loading Windows 10 desktop

This is a really serious issue that I see has been going on since at least 2012 and Microsoft has never resolved it.

Here is what was reported back in 2012 by a user running Windows 7: 

Question 
148680 views White screen after booting to the desktop
LisaMullinix asked on 

Original Title: Windows 7 white screen after desktop boot.

When windows boots my desktop appears for 5 seconds and then the screen turns white. I cannot do anythng from there except reboot the computer.  When I do that, the white screen closes and I see my desktop again, but that also closes and the sytem reboots to the same issue.   It seems like something is loading right after my desktop that isnt responding....I cannot seem to access my desktop to see what is starting up...... Any thoughts on how I can correct this, other than a system restore?

146 people had this question
  •  
 Answer
Yaqub K replied on 
  • Microsoft

Hi,

1.       Do you receive any error message?

2.       Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

There is a possibility that some third party programs installed on the computer is causing the issue.

Method 1:

Step 1:

You may try to boot the computer in safe mode. Refer the following link.

Start your computer in safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Step 2:

If this issue doesn’t occur in safe mode then you may perform a clean boot. Refer the following article.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

NOTE: Once you are done with clean boot, please follow step 7 in the article to set your computer back to normal startup.

Method 2:

You may try to perform SFC (System File Checker) scan on your computer and check. Refer the following article.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 3:

I would also suggest you to scan your computer with Microsoft Safety Scanner, which would help us to get rid of viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.
The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.
Note: Any data that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the entire data, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
Yaqub Khan
24 people found this helpful
  •  
  •  
 Answer
alberttwitscher replied on 
  • Insider

i have  a  solution

First of all White Screen causes most exe files like Spyware or viruses the best way to fix it is to boot

on a winpe CD or DVD from winpe searching the malware that loads at Startup

if you dont know which file is it try to start taskmanager at logon

to do this go to system32 and then make a copy of cmd.exe and rename the copy sethc.exe and replace the current sethc after this reboot let it Login normally and then Switch user by pressing a win +l and then hit shift 5 times then a command prompt should appears then type taskmgr.exe then find the process and kill it and remove it via msconfig or winpe sorry for my bad englisch

11 people found this helpful
  •  
  •  
Still have questions?
Related Content

BUT WAIT, IT GETS WORSE!!!

I had the same problem with a white screen at Windows 10 desktop, after running chkdsk and scannow did not fix the problem, I tried to isolate the possible application that may be causing the white screen by running msconfig in diagnostic startup mode. That's when all **** broke loose.  Let me share what another user describes in 2016 when he ran system configuration in diagnostic startup mode:

Stuck In Diagnostic Startup

Thread: Stuck In Diagnostic Startup

1. Bizguy said:19 Oct 2016
     Stuck In Diagnostic Startup
    I messed up my computer and need some real expert help to straighten this one out. Any assistance / suggestions would be appreciated. Details are below: 

MY SYSTEM: 
    Dell E6400
    Upgraded from Win 7 to Win10 Pro (so directories after c prompt show old folders and Win10 upgrade folders)
    4gb Ram

The computer was really working good until I made the following System Changes:
    Took the following steps: 
    1. Went to: All Apps Menu
    2. Then: Windows Administrative Tools
    3. Then: System Configuration
    4. Under General Header
    5. Then: Selected “DIAGNOSTIC STARTUP” 
    6. Then: Clicked APPLY and SAVE
    7. Then: I shut down the computer and restarted it. 
    Now only the background will load when I boot up, no login will appear and nothing will load. See PROBLEM below. 

Before I made the change, the computer startup was perfect as follows: 
    1. Start Computer
    2. Windows 10 logo
    3. Background Picture
    4. Click on screen to show password logon
    5. Logo on and desktop appears. 

PROBLEM: Computer process now after the change:
    Start Computer
    Windows 10 logo
    Background Picture only (scenic background)
    Click on screen to show password logon
    The background stays on (scenic picture) but dims when I click to try to get the logon bar. Only picture on screen – no
    words or images
    Cannot do anything else
    After a minute the screen brightens and I can click on it again to try to bring up the ‘logon PW field’ and it (scenic background picture) dims again. 
    When I have the blank screen no commands are recognized (Win + R, Win + X etc…)

Note: 
    The only way I can get to C prompt is by using the Win10 installation thumb drive. I tried to do a repair using the 
    Installation app on thumb drive but it failed and told me it could not make the repair. 
    I can reach the BIOS via F12 on start up. 
    The system now may not be recognizing any startup files
    I can email screen shots of the directories visible after the C: prompt if it’s useful. 

I believe I somehow may have disabled the default start-up instructions and correction wills need to be made via the C: prompt. 

Does anyone have recommendations on how to restore the 'set-up'? 

Thanks.
  2. Bizguy said:19 Oct 2016
    Solved as follows: 
    Reached Safe Mode by powering off two times then getting Diagnosing PC mode. 
    Then - Auto Repair
    Then - Advance
    Then - Troubleshooting
    Then - Advanced
    Then - Selected number 4 Safe Mode
    Entered Safe Mode and reached the System Configuration and found that ALL of the startup applications and drivers were indeed turned off. I turned all back on, saved and rebooted. All is good now. 

I hope this helps someone else. 

Also go to: You Tube: https://youtu.be/2f-GorXWkoc
  3. cottonball said:19 Oct 2016
    Bizguy,

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for posting what you did to solve the problem. 
    It may help others in the future!!

Have a great week!
    Have found that when I am deeply stressed, there is a comfort that transcends from the silent devoted companionship of my dogs, that you cannot obtain from any other source...

If you are satisfied with my volunteer help, please click the small thumbs-up on the bottom left of my post. 
    Thanks!

4. Savage93 said:03 Dec 2016
     Originally Posted by Bizguy 
    Solved as follows: 
    Reached Safe Mode by powering off two times then getting Diagnosing PC mode. 
    Then - Auto Repair
    Then - Advance
    Then - Troubleshooting
    Then - Advanced
    Then - Selected number 4 Safe Mode
    Entered Safe Mode and reached the System Configuration and found that ALL of the startup applications and drivers were indeed turned off. I turned all back on, saved and rebooted. All is good now. 

I hope this helps someone else. 

Also go to: You Tube: https://youtu.be/2f-GorXWkoc
    Thank you sooooooo much, you saved my bacon man!!!!
  5. marymmcc said:16 Dec 2016
    You helped me too! Thanks very much
  6. Kato217 said:2 Weeks Ago
    Thanks Bizguy - solved my issue too. Much appreciated!

The Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, 
sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation.
"Windows" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd

This worked because he was able to get into safe mode. Unfortunately my system did not have a recovery partition and Windows 10 recovery USB was unable to repair the settings back to normal or selective startup, so I was locked out of my PC.  I tried to run msconfig as an administrator in the command console via the Windows 10 recovery USB but I couldn't get administrator rights in Windows 10 in my C Drive.  If I could have run msconfig it would have solved my problem since I could have selected normal or selective startup and been able to then reboot and see the login screen to enter Windows 10 once again.

CONCLUSION: Microsoft needs to revamp the system configuration utility to make sure it does not lock out the user by failing to load the logon screen when running a diagnostic startup. Or at least make sure the Windows 10 recovery USB is able to get administrator access to msconfig.exe to fix the settings in Windows 10!!!

Thank you.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated November 20, 2020 Views 329 Applies to: