Where is the Windows 10 Screen Shots folder?

In my previous installation of Windows 10, PrtScn, Ctrl-PrtScn, and Alt-PrtScn produced an image file and stored it in a Screen Shots folder on my PC.  I would then receive a notification in the notification area of my Task Bar, the a new screen shot was available and I could click to open it.  Alternately, I could simply open the Screen Shots folder to find all of the images I had captured.  Since I've installed a new Windows 10, the PrtScrn key does nothing and I have searched but cannot find the Screen Shots folder.  I found the Screen Snip option in settings and turned it on, so I can snip an arbitrary area of my display, but I have no idea where the image is.  No amount of file searching turns up the Screen Shots folder.  How do I restore the PrtScn function and where can I find Screen Shots or Screen Snips?
Hi David

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

If you press the Windows key + PrtScn, does your screen flash to indicate a screenshot has been taken?

Open File Explorer, then on the left, click Pictures

In that folder, do you see the Screenshots folder

If the PrtScn key is still not working, does Fn + PrtScn of the Windows Key + Fn + PrtScn work for you?

If you use OneDrive on your PC, it is possible your screenshots may be saved to OneDrive by default

Select the OneDrive icon on your Taskbar

Select Help & Settings - Settings

On the Backup tab, check this setting - Automatically save screenshots I capture to OneDrive box

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello DaveM121,

Thank you for your reply.  I have additional questions, so that I can get back the Windows behaviour I am used to.

1. Windows key + PrtScn makes the screen flash and captures the entire screen (both displays when I am using extended displays) in C:\Users\david\Pictures\Screenshots.  I never used the Windows key with PrtScn before.
  2. There is a folder C:\Users\david\OneDrive\Pictures\Screenshots, but it contains screenshots from previous installations of Windows
  3. PrtScn, Ctrl + PrtScn, and Alt + PrtScn do nothing.  They worked in all previous installations of Windows (I've been using Windows since 3.1).  I usually used Alt + PrtScn because it captured just the current focus area.  I believed Ctrl + PrtScn used to capture all windows of the active application, and just PrtScn used to capture the entire screen.  Can I get these working in my new installation of Windows?
  4. I don't remember how I launched Screen snip, but the snipping I took is not in any screenshots folder.
  5. When I took a screen shot in previous installations of Windows, there would be an audible alert and a notification in the notification area of Taskbar.  When I clicked the notification, it took me to the screen shot in File Explorer.  That way I didn't have to know where Windows stored the screenshots, and didn't have to find it in File Explorer.  When I took a screen capture with Windows key + PrtScn just now, there is no notification in the notification area.  I would like to have this notification function back.  How can I do that?

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 10,616 Applies to: