Where does Win 10 store album art?

When selecting an audio file --- these are all FLAC or WAV files, not MP3s with embedded art --- and telling windows to "Open with . . ." one of the available players, the selected player opens and begins to play the file, but with the wrong cover art. This only occurs for the albums of about six artists out of > 100 in my music library. Songs from all the others open with the correct art. This occurs with WMP, Foobar2000, VLC and all the other players installed on my system.  

My library is organized with a folder for each artist, and a sub-folder for each of their albums. Each album sub-folder includes a cover image named "cover.jpg." But all the players open songs from the albums of those six artists with the wrong cover art, ignoring the "cover.jpg" file in the folder. For all those artists and all players the art displayed is the same --- the cover art from Carol Kidd's "Dreamsville" album.

I have deleted that image from the "Dreamsville" sub-folder. But Windows has apparently cached it somewhere else, and all the players are loading it from that cache. I've deleted all the thumbcache files in AppData. I've searched AppData and all of C: drive for all image files. That Kidd cover image is not showing up anywhere. For VLC I've deleted the art files in \AppData\vlc, and even uninstalled VLC, removed all of its directories, and re-installed. I also set VLC to NOT download any cover art. But when I select the re-installed player to open one of those corrupted albums, it again opens the %$^&!# "Dreamsville" cover image!

I've managed to force foobar2000 and WMP to load the correct images when run locally.  But I'm also running them as UPnP servers, along with Universal Media Server, to feed audio files to other audio systems in the house. All three servers feed the "Dreamsville" art for those six artists --- even though WMP and foobar now display the correct art when run locally.

For VLC I've used "\Media Information\Add cover art from file" within VLC to select the correct cover art. VLC immediately replaces the image, but the next time I open that file with the "Open with . . ." command, VLC again displays the "Dreamsville" cover.

Aaargh!

It's pretty clear the players are all loading that image from the same source --- it can only be some Windows cache file. So my question is . . . WHERE is Windows storing that image file? If I can find the file I can delete it, and perhaps force Windows to rebuild whatever database it is feeding to the players. 

Thx!

Hi Gary,

I suggest you to check if the cover page of the song is the same in the song location. Once you go to the song location, select the particular song for which the cover page is different and check if the preview of the song is displayed as the same as the cover page of the song.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rakesh C N

Microsoft Community.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 3,609 Applies to: