where do i find a history of computer activity?

i found an account of my 'notebooks'activity once by accident. i am a newbie. a 'friend' set my computer up for me,and now i'm worried that i may be being 'spied' on. i would like to find said 'activity log' again, but can't find it no matter where i look or what i type into the 'help center'.i have an Acer Aspire one w/ a mfg date of 2011/09/23, w/ windows 7 starter.

Answer
Answer

Hello Lisa,

Many parts of Windows 7, as well as individual programs, maintain activity logs of the type you describe. One way to search is to search the C:\ drive with the wildcard "*" (without the quote marks), like this, *.log; that will return all search results with the file extension "log". All will be viewable with the Notepad application.

The other place to look is the Windows Event Viewer, the place where Windows keeps track of all your errors and warnings. This tends to be more technical in nature, so I don't know how helpful it'll be to you, but.... Go to Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools, then click on Event Viewer when the new window opens.

Beyond that, it would be really helpful to know what you were doing when you found the activity log the first time, what applications were open, etc. . Also, do you have reason to be suspicious? If so, you may want to disable or at least cover any web cam or video unit you may have on your computer.

Let me know if this helps you out.

Regards,

BearPup

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 1, 2024 Views 8,449 Applies to: