Where are the error-checking logs/reports in XP and & 7?

Hello,

How are you?

Where are the ead error-checking logs/reports in XP and  7?

1) I know they are not the winlogon logs in Event Viewer in Windows 7?

2)vThere are no new entries anywhere in Event Viewer once Error Checking finishes  If I run it on a non-system, non boot drive drive. In this situation XP does not need to restart the computer to run error-checking.

Thank you for you help.

Sincerely,

Paul Vakerling

Hi Paul Vakerling,

- Are you referring to disk error checking?

Event Viewer maintains logs about program, security, and system events on your computer. You can use Event Viewer to view and manage the event logs, gather information about hardware and software problems, and monitor Windows security events.

For more information, see:

Do write to us with more information pertaining to the issue to help us assist you better.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Divya,

Thank you for replying but you did not answer my questions. Maybe I was not exact enough with my question. Let me be more specific.

1) If you run disk-error checking on the system/boot drive (c:), Windows will not run it but tell you that it will run the disk error check the next time you restart the computer.

2) When the computer restarts and finishes error-checking,  you can read the disk error-check log in Event Viewer. It will be listed as "winlogon" in XP and "winntst" in Windows 7.

3) However, if you run disk error-check on a drive that is being used for storage; i.e. is not the system/boot drive (e.g. D:), Windows will run the disk error-check right then and there on the non system drive (e.g. D:) while Windows is still running. It will not need to be restarted.

Where is the log file for the  disk error check for drive D: stored? There is no new entries in Event Manager, i.e. understandably, no winlogon or winntst.

I hope this explains my question a little more clearly.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Paul Vakerling

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2023 Views 4,399 Applies to: