whatsapp on windows computer

I recently installed the new WhatsApp on a computer running windows 10 no problem but was unable to install it on a computer running windows 8. It is meant to work with windows 8 so does anyone know what the problem is?

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you’re facing issues installing WhatsApp on Windows 8. I will certainly help you with the issue.

I would like to know a few information:

1.       Do you receive any error message while installing WhatsApp on Windows 8?

2.       From where did you download WhatsApp on your PC?

I would suggest you to reinstall WhatsApp from the link mentioned below and check if that helps:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/whatsapp/9wzdncrdfwbs

You may also refer to the following Windows 8.1 article to install WhatsApp in compatibility mode and check if this helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Hope this information helps.

Reply us with the status of the issue.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You seem to have some confusion as to the nature of my question as evidenced by the links you have suggested which have no relevance whatsoever. I was able to install the NEW whatsapp for Windows Computer ( Not Phone no problems there) on my win 10 computer but not my win 8 computer. Please note that the app is a link to a phone running WhatsApp and not a separate installation. It is supposed to work on all windows computers running 8 or above.

1 The error message is shown below.

2 Downloaded from the WhatsApp site.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your time.

I would suggest you to boot the computer in Safe Mode and check if the issue persists. Safe Mode starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services.

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, then you may boot the computer in a Clean Boot state and check the status.

When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the game. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

How to perform Clean Boot on Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Hope this information helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not going through a long rigmarole to find out why the installation does not work, maybe whatsapp will correct the problem in the near future. My query was more in the line of alerting people to the problem. There is a solution, use a computer running windows 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 29, 2022 Views 528 Applies to: