What kind of Windows 10 do i have and what is a difference in terms of functionality and UI?

Hello,

Recently I have bought a laptop which came with preinstalled windows 8.1 pro.

When the time came to upgrade, after 29 in July, i did what was required to upgrade my system to Windows 10.

After a while, when looking through my video card's control panel, i've noticed that it recognizes my system as

Operating System: Windows* 10 Pro Insider Preview (10.0.10240)

as appears in screenshot:

But system preferences and system information don't show any sign of "insiderness":

I am indeed participate in various insider projects including Windows 10, but for this one i reserved an upgrade and was upgrading particularly after the official release in order to install full final version.

So i don't know what to think;

on one hand - whatever my graphics card call it, it does not matter to me while in  reality i have standard release with full functionality.

on the other hand - it happened that i've been asking a question here on forum and have been guided to perform a sequence of tasks to solve my issues, but was unable to find corresponding UI functionality.

So the bottom line questions are:

-----

1)What kind of windows do i have? 

2)If this is indeed Windows* 10 Pro Insider Preview, what can i do to install normal one? Can i perform a clean install from other installation media (it was OEM-windows upgrade more than month ago, and now i can't go back and upgrade again), and where can i find the normal one (since firs upgrade done by the media creation tool)?

1-thw windows insider Pro is the same as the released window 10 Pro.  Yours is only labeled "inisdier" because you used the same email address as the one you registered with the insider program.

2-as stated it is the same as the released one. 

What you do now depends on whether you want to stay an insider or not.  In either case there is no need to clean install (in fact you do not want to)

• Do you want to continue as a Windows Insider and keep getting preview builds after 7/29?
  • Or do you want to upgrade your Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 system that has been getting Windows 10 Insider Preview builds to the 7/29 release and stop being an Insider?

“I want to continue as a Windows Insider!” If you want to continue as a Windows Insider past 7/29 there is nothing you need to do. You’re already opted in and receiving builds in the Fast or Slow ring depending upon your selection. This is prerelease software and is activated with a prerelease key. Each individual build will expire after a time, but you’ll continue to receive new builds so by the time an older prerelease build expires you’ll have received a new one. Since we’re continuing the Windows Insider Program you’ll be able to continue receiving builds and those builds will continue to be activated under the terms of the Windows Insider Program. We provide ISOs for these builds for recovery from any significant problems, but they are still pre-release software. As part of the program we’ll upgrade Insiders to what is for all intents and purposes the same build as what other customers will get on 7/29, but that will be just another build for Insiders, and those who stay in the program will simply get the next build after as well.

“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks. 

You have mentioned word Insider many times subsequently fully explaining this case, and you did not mention the word Preview at all.

I less concerned about the word Insider. I more concerned about the word Preview

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Preview=Insider.  Build 10240 comes in 2 flavors one for insiders called preview, and one for release not called preview  both are identical except for expiration.  The public is still on 10240, insiders have had 4 updates since.
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK.

1) I have specially assigned test systems which were designated for insider's purposes, and for other similar test. Most important that i have another systems, which i use for work and did not intend to use as test systems. One of them is this laptop.

Does this mean that somehow all my systems will forcibly become insider preview versions without preliminary permission? Did i miss something in terms of insider program participant agreements and arrangements? (What about cases of clients' computers which were not intended to become insider?)

2) You wrote "Yours is only labeled "insider" because you used the same email address as the one you registered with the insider program." But where?

I performed this upgrade from local account to local account. It was clean new system, and in any step i did no use of email or microsoft account. How microsoft knew about my insiderness?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 10, 2023 Views 123 Applies to: