What is the K-Lite Codec Pack? Should I delete it?

What is it?  Will it help  or hinder my computer in anyway?  Should I install it, delete it, or WHAT? I found it in START/ALL PROGRAMS of my Windows XP. I'm new to todays computing, and my last computer was an 80286 running at 16MHz with a 40Mb hard drive.  Yeh ... I could use some help!  Thanks.
original title: K-Lite Codec Pack

I know this is a few years late, but if I found this question other may as well.

The K-Lite CODEC pack (http://klitedownload.com/Download/) is a collection of CODECs that some people find useful for playing audio and video files.

A CODEC is a bit of software that can CODE and/or DECODE audio and video files. (More information here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Codecs-frequently-asked-questions)

Do you need the K-Lite CODEC pack? Well that depends, there are people that swear by them and don't apparently have any problems with them, but I personally feel that the crashes that inevitably come are not worth the hassle. (I am one who tends to push my computer to its limit so if there is a crash that could potentially happen, it probably does.) I am sure not everyone will experience crashes.

My suggestion is to not use a CODEC pack. If you find that there is a media file that you need to play but cannot, that you go to the website of the people who make the CODEC and get it from there as it should be the most up-to-date and there is often support options available on the site if you encounter problems. CODEC packs also tend to install way more stuff than you need greatly increasing the possibility of crashes and potently impacting the performance of your computer. This can be mitigated with a selective install, but then if you knew what to select, then you may as well get the files from the source.

If you have little or no idea what I am talking about then a CODEC pack may be a viable option initially as it may get you through in the short term. Then you can educate yourself as you are able and deal with possible crashes as they occur.

154 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM!!!!  I did and it changed EVERY file/folder to an .INK file which when trying to open anything, YOU COULDN'T!!!!  You can't even go in the back door through PROPERTIES to change the extention!!!  I wanted to hear a cd on the computer, so I put the cd in and waited for the window to ask me what program did I want to open and listen to the cd.  That didn't happen. It starts out with your computer running slow, then slower and slower.  Then, being like any normal user, you close out what you have open and restart.  When I did that, I no longer had control of my computer!!!  I no longer had any ICONS on my desktop, under the START menu or anywhere else  except Recycle Bin!!! I finally had to wipe the drives clean and reinstall XP, SO DONT USE IT!!!

I know this is a few years late, but if I found this question other may as well.

The K-Lite CODEC pack (http://klitedownload.com/Download/) is a collection of CODECs that some people find useful for playing audio and video files.

A CODEC is a bit of software that can CODE and/or DECODE audio and video files. (More information here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Codecs-frequently-asked-questions)

Do you need the K-Lite CODEC pack? Well that depends, there are people that swear by them and don't apparently have any problems with them, but I personally feel that the crashes that inevitably come are not worth the hassle. (I am one who tends to push my computer to its limit so if there is a crash that could potentially happen, it probably does.) I am sure not everyone will experience crashes.

My suggestion is to not use a CODEC pack. If you find that there is a media file that you need to play but cannot, that you go to the website of the people who make the CODEC and get it from there as it should be the most up-to-date and there is often support options available on the site if you encounter problems. CODEC packs also tend to install way more stuff than you need greatly increasing the possibility of crashes and potently impacting the performance of your computer. This can be mitigated with a selective install, but then if you knew what to select, then you may as well get the files from the source.

If you have little or no idea what I am talking about then a CODEC pack may be a viable option initially as it may get you through in the short term. Then you can educate yourself as you are able and deal with possible crashes as they occur.

31 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The K-Lite codec pack will not be responsible for that.
It could be where you downloaded it from meant it had a virus installed with it.

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You know, I find this post very helpful and I could go with this.

From CouscousXX:

A CODEC is a bit of software that can CODE and/or DECODE audio and video files. (More information here:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Codecs-frequently-asked-questions)

My suggestion is to not use a CODEC pack. If you find that there is a media file that you need to play but cannot, that you go to the website of the people who make the CODEC and get it from there as it should be the most up-to-date and there is often support options available on the site if you encounter problems. CODEC packs also tend to install way more stuff than you need greatly increasing the possibility of crashes and potently impacting the performance of your computer. This can be mitigated with a selective install, but then if you knew what to select, then you may as well get the files from the source.

I understood a lot of it, but my operating system having this problem is Windows 10.

So basically, the codec pack website domain has been moved. It is at http://www.codecguide.com.

They put up a link of Windows codecs for Windows 7-10. I hope they can be useful.

Thank you for the advice.

Kindly,

BusySteam5

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This just proves that information is KING!

Thank you for being out there, for me today, 1/26/2017

What is it?  Will it help  or hinder my computer in anyway?  Should I install it, delete it, or WHAT? I found it in START/ALL PROGRAMS of my Windows XP. I'm new to todays computing, and my last computer was an 80286 running at 16MHz with a 40Mb hard drive.  Yeh ... I could use some help!  Thanks.
original title: K-Lite Codec Pack

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I installed this to fix a problem where WMA files did not have audio.  Haven't have problems with it so far.  Maybe because I downloaded it from a virus free site.  I remember checking for any hits but could be luck of the draw.  I take precautions by at least creating a restore-point.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 73,189 Applies to: