What is msdia80.dll in my partition drive "H" and is it safe to delete it?

Original Title: hi am new to windows 8.IN MY PARTION DRIVE "H" MSDIA80.DLL IS FOUND

NOTHING FILE IN THAT DRIVE ONLY msdia80.dll is found...is it safe to delete it..plz hep

Hi Nsriyas,

The msdia80.dll file is a system file in Visual C++ and some other Windows based software applications.

Have you installed Visual C++ Redistributable Package on this computer?

You have a computer that is running a 64-bit operating system. You install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package on this computer by using the Vcredist_x64.exe file or the Vcredist_ia64.exe file. When you do this, the Msdia80.dll file is installed in the root folder of the boot drive.

If you have installed Visual C++ in a different drive, then, it could have happened that the file is moved. In that case, I would suggest you to move the Msdia80.dll file to the Drive:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VC folder. Then, use command prompt to register the Msdia80.dll file.

Follow the steps:

a)      Type cmd on the Start screen and right click on Command Prompt.

b)      Select “Run as administrator”. Type the following command and hit Enter:

regsvr32 driver:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VC\msdia80.dll

If you have already uninstalled Visual C++ and the file is located in a different drive after uninstalling it, then, you can delete the file.

For reference, you can take a look at the article:

FIX: The Msdia80.dll file is installed in the root folder of the boot drive when you install the Visual C++2005 Redistributable Package by using the Vcredist_x64.exe file or the Vcredist_ia64.exe file

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927665

Note: This link has information related to Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package which might not be compatible to Windows 8.

Please let us know if you need more assistance on this issue. We will be glad to help you.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

hello......thanks for your reply...I've tried your above guide to register the file but it says "THE MODULE "C:\PROGRAM"FAILED TO LOAD.....SPECIFIED MODULE COULDN'T FOUND. BUT I MOVED THE FILE TO RIGHT PATH YOU SAID ABOVE......PLEASE HELP..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nsriyas,

Thank you for the update on this issue.

Did you move the file to the file to the current location?

When the file is not moved to the correct location and when you try to register the file, you might receive such error messages. I would suggest you to recheck the location to which you have moved the file.

First of all, let's find out the current version of Visual C++ installed on the computer. To do so, follow the steps:

a) Press Windows and X key and click on Programs and Features.

b) Check if you are able to find Visual C++ application. If yes, check for the version as well.

Please let us know about the status of this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pinaki Mohanty,
Thanks for your response.
I try to register as regsvr32 C:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\vc\msdia80.dll
2) here various versions installed.ie) visual c++ 2005,2008,2010........
thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

​Hi Nsriyas,

I appreciate the efforts which you have put to try and fix the issue till now.

I would suggest you to post the same query on Microsoft Visual C++ forum for further assistance. Refer to the link:

Please let us know if you have more queries on Windows.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the same "Module failed to load" error as the poster above. There is an error (more than one actually) in the article describing the process (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927665).

It says to type this line at the command prompt:

where "driver" is replaced with the drive letter where the user's Program Files folder is located. ("driver" is a typo in the example of the command, it should be "drive" so it matches the instruction on where to move the file.) But Command Prompt treats the space after the word "Program" in the command as the end of the command (at least it does in Windows 8.1).

The path must be contained in quotation marks, like this:

regsvr32 "driver:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VC\msdia80.dll"

Then it works.

I hope that helps others who are dealing with the frustration of a poorly-edited article.

28 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the information that helped resolve the issue. This will assist other community members to troubleshoot such issues.

Please feel free to ask more queries on Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the same "Module failed to load" error as the poster above. There is an error (more than one actually) in the article describing the process (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927665).

where "driver" is replaced with the drive letter where the user's Program Files folder is located. ("driver" is a typo in the example of the command, it should be "drive" so it matches the instruction on where to move the file.) But Command Prompt treats the space after the word "Program" in the command as the end of the command (at least it does in Windows 8.1).

Then it works.

I hope that helps others who are dealing with the frustration of a poorly-edited article.

This same issue also happened to me. But thanks to this post I was able to gain helpful knowledge on how to fix the problem!

Anyway, I simply followed the instruction describe in this post.

Yes, you are definitely correct when you said that Command Prompt treats the space after the word "Program" in the command as the end of the command.

The path must be contained in quotation marks like you said. I tried it and it definitely worked 100 percent! A million thanks to you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Then it works.

Thank you mycranium. So just to reiterate for those others who've had trouble - the following worked with driver/drive replaced with the actual drive letter of course, as per mycranium's instructions.
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VC\msdia80.dll
"

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much for the information, the problem was solved, in my case "driver" is C:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VC\msdia80.dll"

saludos from México

The OS is Windows 10

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 4, 2024 Views 13,016 Applies to: