What does this Windows 10 Install error mean and how do I fix it? 0xC1900101 - 0x20006 -- The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation.

0xC1900101 - 0x20006

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation.

More importantly, how do I get past this error.  I would like to upgrade my windows 8.1 to windows 10.

Question Info

Last updated December 6, 2019 Views 7,576 Applies to:

I get the same error trying to go from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem with my win 7 home sp1 when i try to upgrade to win 10 home.

the text is the same, but in danish, but the error code is different0x8007001F-0x20006

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

So, what does it mean? Anyone?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm trying to install Windows 10 from a previous version of Windows 7. I've tried from the Creation Software and also from a bootable ISO file on my thumb drive.

The trouble-shooting for error code 0xC1900101-0x20006 doesn't make any sense. It says something about reverting your Windows 10 version back to your previous OS version, but Windows 10 never booted up in the first place.

The error code itself should only be given after a complete (but not clean) install to Windows 10 - where the solution is to go back to your old version (7, 8, 8.1) and reload 10 from there.

I haven't found any good solutions online but I'm thinking if I were to reformat from UEFI mode it would probably fix this...but it's not my PC so I'm sort of loathe to do that.

PC specifications:

Windows 7 Home Premium

Dell Inspiron560

Pentium dual-core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz

RAM: 2GB

64-bit OS

Anyone have any further thoughts?

I can leave them at Windows 7 for now but I think the ultimate idea is for us to upgrade because Windows 10 won't be free forever and they're going to stop supporting the old versions eventually.

From what I understand, the whole purpose of offering Windows 10 for free is to move everyone onto one unified OS so they can offer integrated support for the "one-true-OS".

Sorry this didn't help.

I have managed to solve the problems with upgrading; all the machines that wouldn't upgrade had corrupt files.

Run this command:

SFC /ScanNow

Reboot the machine then try upgrading again.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I've run this SFC command before I attempt the upgrade - up to 12 attempts now. I also run the following three DISM commands from the Admin Command Prompt window:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

No errors found after running all four, so I should be good to go with respect to corrupted files, right? I've attempted the upgrade via Windows Update, the Media Creation Tool, and extracting and running the ISO from a root drive location.

I disable all StartUp programs and services that aren't Windows-related (clean boot).

I've deleted everything in C:\Windows\Downloads.

I've uninstalled MalwareBytes and my virus programs just before attempting the upgrade.

Nothing works so far, and I've wasted many hours in the process. I've even solicited Microsoft's help via their online Technical Support chat. Of course, they went through the exact same processes I mention here; and, after two hours with them, the installation failed with the exact same error I received. So, they escalated to Level 2 support; and, so far, no one has been able to resolve and get Windows 10 installed.

The only method I haven't tried is creating a bootable USB drive using the 64-bit ISO downloaded from Microsoft's site. I'm creating that on a 32gb flash drive as I type this. It's taking awhile because I'm checking for bad sectors first, to be safe. I'll come back and let you know if it works this time.

Data Analyst

Sorry this didn't help.

I created the USB boot drive, went into the BIOS and changed the boot order accordingly, and couldn't proceed beyond entering the Product ID for Windows 8.1. The "Next" button remained inactive, so I clicked on "Skip", accepted the license terms, and it tells me to remove the install media and boot into Windows normally to install from within Windows.

What am I missing, folks? If this whole upgrade process wasn't so convoluted, it would almost be funny. I appear to be in an endless loop of failed upgrade attempts and no one knows the way out, including Microsoft Support.

I'm open to all suggestions. I can't imagine there's anything left that I haven't already tried. Oh, I forgot to mention that I also disabled my NVidia graphics adapter in Device Manager and am running off the Intel 4000 only. I'd read somewhere that may be yet another reason the upgrade fails.

My laptop is an HP Envy DV-7373 with i7-3630QM CPU 2.40 GHz and 12 gig of memory, if that helps anyone with a response to my dilemma.

This upgrade process just shouldn't be this difficult. I appreciate any help :-)

Data Analyst

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Do a clean install, all the old files are moved to 'C:\Windows.old\'. With the latest version of windows 10, it will let you activate it with a Windows 8 key afterward.

Sorry this didn't help.

I created the USB boot drive, went into the BIOS and changed the boot order accordingly, and couldn't proceed beyond entering the Product ID for Windows 8.1. The "Next" button remained inactive, so I clicked on "Skip", accepted the license terms, and it tells me to remove the install media and boot into Windows normally to install from within Windows.

What am I missing, folks? If this whole upgrade process wasn't so convoluted, it would almost be funny. I appear to be in an endless loop of failed upgrade attempts and no one knows the way out, including Microsoft Support.

I'm open to all suggestions. I can't imagine there's anything left that I haven't already tried. Oh, I forgot to mention that I also disabled my NVidia graphics adapter in Device Manager and am running off the Intel 4000 only. I'd read somewhere that may be yet another reason the upgrade fails.

My laptop is an HP Envy DV-7373 with i7-3630QM CPU 2.40 GHz and 12 gig of memory, if that helps anyone with a response to my dilemma.

This upgrade process just shouldn't be this difficult. I appreciate any help :-)

I am going trough the EXACT same issue, MS Level 2 is supposed to call me back tomorrow on this........my other 4 computers upgraded without issue. This one is being a royal pain. I do not want to wipe the computer and start over if I can help it........SMH 

Thanks,
Dale Burke

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you find anything out from Microsoft?

Sorry this didn't help.