What causes error code 0xc1900200 when updating Windows 10 and how do I resolve?

I have been unable to update Windows 10 with important updates since my first initial installation.  I was running Windows 7 and accepted the offer to upgrade when Microsoft released Windows 10 and offered the free upgrade.  I spent almost eight hours in chat yesterday with four different Microsoft support technicians who were provided access to my computer, spent time running different diagnostics and making changes and all assured me they resolved the problem.  They did not and I still cannot update my computer. 

What conditions would cause me to received an error code 0xc1900200 when updating Windows 10?  And, what can I do to resolve it?  I had asked to have my issue escalated to a level 2 engineer to no avail.  So much for Microsoft's customer service.  In my last attempt, I was put on hold and after a significant amount of time, I was simply disconnected and even though they had my phone number, no one called me back as they indicated they would if we got disconnected.

In addition to the above error code, I also occasionally get a written message about not being able to update a system partition.  My C: drive is partitioned into four segments.  Basic (OEM partition), Basic (Recovery partition), Basic (Boot, Page file, Crash dump, Primary partition), and Basic (System, Active, Primary partition).  The status of all four segments is "Healthy."  The first two are 100% free, the third is 75% free, and the last is 0% free (1MB available).  I don't know if this contributes to the update problem or not.

I advised all the tech support individuals of these error messages but none seemed to focus on these issues.  Any advice or corrective measures would be most appreciated.  Thank you!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Please be advised some users are reporting issues with the Windows 10 1709 update. Make sure you backup before attempting to upgrade:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

What is the make and model of your computer?

Have you checked the manufacturers website to determine compatibility?
Check this List to Determine if Your Computer is Compatible with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

perform the following tasks:
12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1709)
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/prepare-comput...

How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Creators Update version 1709 using ISO File from Versions 1507, 1511, 1607 and 1703
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Your System Reserved partition might be too small and you need to resize it to about 600 Mbs. See instructions how.   
Press Windows key + R
Type: diskmgmt.msc
Hit Enter
Click the system drive to view the size.
Resolution:
Create a recovery drive: 
How to: Create a Recovery Drive for reinstalling Windows 10

Download Ease us partition manager and resize it to 600 MBs
http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-fre...

For this example, I will be using Ease us partition manager:
After installing Easeus partition manager, launch the program.
Select the system partition where Windows is installed.
Click Resize/Move button on the toolbar

Under Decide size and position, use the slider then drag to the left until a desired amount of space is allocated - 600 MBs. Look in the Unallocated Space Before: field to see how much. Once that is done, release.
You will now see an unallocated amount of disk space created. Click OK
Click Apply and OK to confirm changes. Your computer will be restarted to apply the changes.

After restart, log in and launch Disk Management – press Windows key + R > type:diskmgmt.msc then hit Enter on your keyboard.

Select the System Reserverd partition, right click it then click Extend Volume
Select the Unallocated space we created earlier, click Next then click Finish.
You should now have a large enough System Reserved partition to accommodate Windows 10 setup.

Important note: Backup your computer:
When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link 

How to: Create a system image in Windows
http://www.notebooks.com/2009/10/24/how-to-back...
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

For errors happening during Windows 10, you can refer to following guide. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deploy...

The code 0xc1900200 means that "machine does not meet the minimum system requirements."
Sincerely yours,
Vijay A. Verma @ https://excelbianalytics.com

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If that were the case, how was I able to download and upgrade from windows 7 to 10 when the free upgrade was being offered?  At that time microsoft had me run a utility to determine if my system met the minimum requirements.  It determined that my system met those requirements and allowed the download.  My problem is that since then, I’m unable to apply system updates.  In addition to the error code, I will ocassionally get the message that the update process can not update the system reserve partition but there is no indication why it can’t.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

It is possible that your device is only compatible to the initial version and build of Windows 10. All succeeding version and build updates may be encountering compatibility issue with your device and that is why it cannot install those updates. Kindly provide us the exact model of your computer for us to know if it is compatible with Windows 10. To determine the model of your computer, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the Windows logo (Start button), and then click Run.
  2. In the Run textbox, type msinfo32.
  3. On the right pane of the System Information window, look for System model.

Also, it would be best to contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of your device so that you can check with them if your computer is compatible with Windows 10. If your computer can run the updated version of Windows 10, we highly suggest that you follow all of the steps provided by Andre Da Costa. The post of Andre Da Costa contains all of the steps you need to follow to help you update your copy of Windows 10.

We await for your response.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this error as well, while upgrading from Windows 10 Version 1607 to Windows 10, version 1709. The upgrade was downloaded by Windows update automatically but then it fails installing and returns error 0xc1900200.

My device is HP ProBook 650 G2. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this error as well, while upgrading from Windows 10 Version 1607 to Windows 10, version 1709. The upgrade was downloaded by Windows update automatically but then it fails installing and returns error 0xc1900200.

My device is HP ProBook 650 G2. 

I have the same trouble. it downloaded automatically and has tried multiple times to install but comes up with same 0xc1900200 error. Drives me nuts!!!!!!!!!! I have an ASUS laptop already running Win 10 and it has a lot of free space still. 

i would be over the moon if there was an easy fix for this. 

Can you just remove the Windows Upgrade Assistant so it stops trying to download? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Were you able to follow the solutions provided on this thread yet?

Regards.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi 

I had this problem I solved it last night using this post last reply from "Lucalink" . In the setup log file I saw this sentence.  Please first check your installation log which name is like . This will be under the hidden folder. Such as "C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther"

Setup_InsufficientSystemPartitionDiskSpace

Lucalink Post

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Whoever gets a message about "System Partition" while updating Windows 10 should follow the instructions on this KB:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086249/we-couldn-t-update-system-reserved-partition-error-installing-windows 

I usually only delete the bigger files on that folder (i.e. ch*, jp* and ko*)

Works for me every time.

Cheers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This method worked for me.  It's sort of a work around, it took some effort but worked with no fear of data loss or need to use unfamiliar commands. I call it "Clone Pogo". You do need cloning software and another larger HDD. You may have these already to make a complete backup just in case something goes wrong. 

In my situation I had a 500GB solid state drive in the PC, using 150GB or so, but the System partition was only 419MB.  Windows 10 Home 64 bit wouldn't take the Feature Upgrade to Windows 10, version 1803.  A few months back I cloned to an 500GB SSD from the original 1TB drive that came with the PC. Partiton sizing is proportional by default "Automatic" in my cloning software, which was fine until this update needed much more room. 

My solution was to clone back on to an 1TB drive, which created an 838MB System partition.

I put that drive in the PC and booted in to Windows. I triggered the update and it installed successfully this time. 

Once all updates were installed and the pc was rebooted and checked again for any further updates/reboots.

Then I cloned the now updated 1TB drive back on to the 500GB SSD and reinstalled it into the PC.

It booted into Windows very fast, no errors, problem fixed.

Now on the 500GB SSD there are three partitions; a 399MB System Reserved partition, the 464.99GB "C" partitron and a new 387MB Recovery Partition.

I used HDClone for the cloning software but I'm pretty sure this would work with any cloning software. 

Hope this solution works for you, YMMV 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 23,774 Applies to: