Webcam only works on Windows Camera App, not with any other program / website

My webcam (Live_cam VF0420) does not work with any programs / Google Hangouts, except for the Camera App. Skype, both metro and desktop, do not work and I have a feeling that the webcam permissions have been messed up somewhere in the settings, allowing exclusive access for the Windows Camera App.

I've been fishing for an answer for a few weeks now but can't find anything. When I first built my rig (about 4 weeks ago) the webcam worked perfect, but I think that since opening up the camera app, it's stopped working with everything else.

Device manager shows it in the imaging devices, but it still doesn't work with anything.

I tried to attach another webcam, but the same thing happened, so it's a problem with Windows 8. I think there is a background process using the webcam, thus causing other programs to not be able to.

Please advise,

Thanks.

Hi,

Are you getting any error message when trying to use the webcam on other programs?

What is the make and model of the PC?

I would suggest you to run the troubleshooter to fix the hardware issue. If the issue persists, please uninstall and reinstall the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

Method 1: Use a troubleshooter to fix the issue:

a. Type "Troubleshooting" on the start screen and hit enter

c. Click on “Hardware and Sound”

d. Select Hardware and devices,

e. Run the troubleshooter and restart the computer.

Method 2: In this instance we will try a "Selective Startup", a selective startup will allow us to determine which programs you would like to start.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/

Note: When the troubleshooting is over do not forget to reset the computer to normal startup.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We’ll be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Sandeep,

Sorry for the late reply. The PC is one that I built myself, therefore I can't tell you the brand since there isn't one. I had tried the troubleshooter, however it did not detect any issues with any hardware. Also, selective startup did not seem to help at all either. I recently bought a new webcam to see if it would make a difference, a Lifecam HD-3000, but the same problem occurs.

What is strange is that the webcams work perffectly in the official Camera App of Windows 8, but does not function at all in any other program, including Metro Skype. The light on the webcam does not even turn on. The drivers are all up to date, as is all the software.

I do not know how to proceed, therefore suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

But as you have mentioned that you have built your own PC, have you installed system builder version of Windows 8 on the computer?

I would suggest you to go through the user manual of the camera and check for the camera settings and uncheck the option "Allow this app to access your: Webcam and Microphone" under permissions.

You can also download and run the Modern UI App troubleshooter.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

If the issue persists, then I would suggest you to perform a system restore and check.

How to restore, refresh, or reset your PC

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Note: System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file. If you have backups of your files, you can restore the files from a backup.

Do get back to us with the status of teh issue.

Regards,
Tadasha Mishra

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi:

I'm having the same problem. I have a Microsoft LiveCam Cinema that only works in Metro, it does not work in any Webcam software in the desktop. This problem started about two weeks ago, when I did a clean installed of Windows 8 Pro. So, since I was waiting for Windows 8.1, I thought that after I install Windows 8.1 the problem would go away. But for my surprise the problem continued. I did a clean install of windows 8.1 with an .iso disk that my friend downloaded from MSDN.

When I say that it doesn't work with any webcam software in the desktop, I mean Skype, Windows Live Messenger, LiveCam Cinema software, CyberLink YouCam and not even in the Microsoft Silverlight configuration.

I know that the webcam is working because it works in the camera app of metro, and in the sound recorder of the desktop. Of course I can see that the webcam microphone is working, but using any of the above software have no video or audio.

YouCam gives me this error message: "YouCam cannot connect to your webcam ( Microsoft LifeCam Cinema). Try selecting another capture device within settings, or close any applications that may be using this webcam and then restart YouCam."

Please help. Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all, I have the same problem with VF0420? Works with creative app, but not with Windows 8.1 & skype.

Before works with Windows 8. 
I updated to Windows 8.1 and finallly problems in webcam.

Please help? Thxs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been having the same problem. I've used this Lifecam Cinema on a PC w/Windows 7 & had no major problems using it with whatever program and/or website I wanted to stream to/from. Well now w/Windows 8 & 8.1, it only works in the Video app on the Metro screen, which is ridiculous! I'm outraged that Microsoft builds a camera & the OS & makes them incompatible, makes no sense at all, this is a "Web"cam made to stream over the web! So why can't I use it for that purpose?! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For Windows 8.1

Hi Do This Uninstall  it all Driver and program   Download drivers and program

disconnected from net to do next

Do not have the camera plug in      Find the driver LCVA_0420_DRV_LA_1_01_01.exe

Right Click  select  " Troubleshoot Compatibility "   then worked in a earlier version of windows

Next select windows 7    Next   Test Program  Next  This program Installed correctly.

Next   restart your computer  still disconnected from net.

after restart plug the  VF0420 in

Then do the above for the Program LCC_PCAPP_LA_2_02_07.exe disconnected from net

Instead of a Blank Screen you may get a Lock Screen   If so

File explorer C: > Program Files (x86) > Creative> Live! Can Centre > in this folder look for LiveCam.exe 

dobble click to run  when it pops click the start at bottom of screen  then if lock screen then up top menu "Tools"  select    "console"  then settings down bottom set a password then click "disable Parental control"

Should work and should work for most other cameras too

Plug Net back in

Misteron

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 13, 2024 Views 10,808 Applies to: