"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one." Error

I just removed an old HDD from a laptop and put in an empty 120GB SSD (wanted a full, clean install). Using the setup media I had handy on a USB, I tried to boot using the USB and install to the SSD, but I always get the error:

"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one."

It also mentions setup logs, but I looked everywhere, on both the USB and the SSD, and I couldn't find a single log file anywhere, so I'm not quite sure what the problem is. I've installed Windows 10 from the same USB numerous times without a single issue, so I'm not quite sure why this is happening now.

The SSD:

• Is formatted to NTFS (using the quick option)
  • Only has one partition which takes up the entire drive and said partition is marked as Primary. It doesn't have a system, page file, or recovery partitions.
  • Has a mount point
  • Is GPT
  • Was cleaned multiple times using diskpart
  • Has absolutely nothing on it

Now, I have tried multiple different ways of fixing it, including this YouTube video mentioned in another thread

. The YouTube method worked up until I went to get rid of the partition with the Windows installer files. Attempting to remove the partition ruined the entire installation, putting me back at square one.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5548 and the SSD is an Inland Professional. 

Any help and pointers are greatly appreciated!

Hi Space. I'm Greg, awarded MVP for eleven years, Volunteer Moderator, and Independent Advisor here to help you until this is resolved. g

If you're wanting to install WIndows on the drive why would you format a full disk partition? This is done during the install process by the WIndows installer which makes several different partitions needed for the System functions.

I will give you all possible steps to troubleshoot Windows installation failure which work in about 90% of cases. If not we'll go from there:

Follow the illustrated Clean Install steps in this tutorial which compiles the best possible install that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given: https://www.translatetheweb.com/?ref=TVert&...

Make sure all other drives and peripherals are unplugged. Update the BIOS or UEFI firmware to latest, or reset to Defaults, making sure (if you have it) UEFI is enabled, CSM or Legacy BIOS disabled, Windows Boot Manager set first to boot, if necessary disable Secure and Fast Boot until after install, set SATA controller to AHCI, Save changes and Exit.

Create the latest Windows 10 Installation Media by installing Media Creation Tool and following the directions here: http://windows.microsoft.com/tr-tr/windows-10/m.... If you're using another PC to do this uncheck the box for Recommended Settings to choose the exact version and bit rate for the target PC only. Delete the flash stick in Disk Management, let the tool format it.

Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key, following the exact steps in the Clean Install tutorial.

If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup (pressing key given in chart in link above) to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first.

The media may also be bad, so confirm it boots and queues up per these steps in another PC, or else recreate it. You can also try a DVD, or the alternate download site from MS TechBench here: https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php. Burn to DVD using WIndows Image Burner or create bootable flash using one of the options here:
https://www.translatetheweb.com/?ref=TVert&...

Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, on first screen press Shift + F10 to open a Command Prompt, type the following commands, each followed by Enter key:
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SEL DIS # (replace # with the disk # of the Windows disk from list in previous command)
CLEAN
EXIT

Close Command Box, on second screen choose Install Now, then Custom Install, then at the drive selection screen choose Unallocated Space, click Next to let it create needed partitions and start install - this makes it foolproof.

Make sure to follow the setup steps in the first link tutorial to complete your install. Drivers are important enough that those steps are printed in red.

You will get and keep the best possible install to the exact extent you stick with the steps, tools and methods in the first linked tutorial. It's a better install than any amount of money could buy and a great learning experience that will make you the master of your PC.

If all else fails you can move the hard drive to another PC to do the install with it plugged in alone. Windows 10 is remarkably adaptive to new hardware without needing adaptive restore. If it will start it will swap out all drivers requiring several restarts. You can also try applying a same-version System Image to the intact SSD/hard drive.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your help, Greg! I actually got this sorted last night -- I was just too tired to post.

All I had to do was to click the "Delete" button on the partition (which changes it to Unallocated instead of NTFS) and clicked OK and it worked without an issue.

100 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes that is the definition of a Clean Install - to delete all partitions off the drive first before either creating the new ones you want or just clicking Next to let the installer do it for you which makes it foolproof.

I hope you followed the steps in the Clean Install tutorial I gave you as it assures you will have a lasting install that doesn't have problems.

Let me know if there's anything else.

Also when ready please mark the post which helped most as the Answer (or Resolved), to help others. A rating is also appreciated.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had tried all the above including 

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SEL DIS # (replace # with the disk # of the Windows disk from list in previous command)
CLEAN
EXIT

and still no go.

When I disconnected the OTHER HDDs, it installed with no fuss. I have no idea why, but Da Costa suggested that before.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2024 Views 47,468 Applies to: