volume button on keyboard not working

I don't know anything about computers. I just got my laptop back after it being stuck in a different country for a month, i don't know if they touche it or what. but anyway. any time i press the volume button on my keyboard which are on the f10-f12 keys all it does it **** up my screen, make it biggr or make some weird coding **** pop up. how do i fix this asap thanks. i'm using windows 10 on chrome. 

* Moved from IE8/other

Hi confusedchild11,

To be able to verify what is the natural function of the buttons on your keyboard, we would like to know the make and model of your laptop. In the meantime, look for the Fn key on your keyboard, press it simultaneously with whatever function key you're pressing. Because the function keys on your keyboard (F1-F12) has one or more key mapping if you press it, this may depend whether it'll be press with the function key at the same time. On other keyboards, Fn button will light up, for you to know that it's active.

Here's a screenshot of the Fn key, this may be on a different location on your keyboard but it should look like this:

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I think you using chromebook , which brand and model you using
I am working as a Mathematics lecturer in a PU college.
Windows11_Pro_64bit_23H2_buildno_22631.3593_MS.office365_C2R_2401_v17231.20236_Intel_i5_13500_Nvidia3060_12GB_GDDR6_RAM_32GB_5600_Storage8TB.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's an asus running Windows 10. The fn is working for now but ive never had to do that in the past. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for getting back to us. There might be a firmware update that caused your BIOS settings to change, this may affect the functionality of your keyboard buttons. This is one of the possible reasons why you need to press the Fn key to be able to adjust the volume. If you want to go back to the previous settings, you should contact your laptop's manufacturer so they can advise what will be the best thing to do (they might roll back your firmware to the previous version, or provide you an update that will change the settings of your keyboard).

To notify us and have us get back to you, simply reply to this post.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 30, 2023 Views 819 Applies to: