Vista SP2 Update Consistantly Fails with EC 800f081f

Trying to install 32-bit Vista SP2 since Sep '09 with same result each time, error code 800f081f. 

Have 2 Bucket IDs, 584494955 and 745471651.

System Update Readiness Tool installed successfully.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?  Were any of these applications running in the background when you attempted to install SP2?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

====================================

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows Vista SP2 issues until August 30, 2010. Availability of chat or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge.  Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?prid=13014&gprid=582034 & select appropriate category (i.e., Download issue; Installation issue; Issues after you install a service pack).

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, Pa Bear,

Avira Antivir Personal - Free Edition is current and running.

Spybot SD, Superantispyware, and Ad-Aware are current and running.

ZoneAlarm Firewall is current and running.

No Norton found, but there is a McAfee folder in Program Data, but nothing in Program files.

Supplemental:  I just searched the registry and found no Mcafee entries, but did find Norton in the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs\Norton Internet Security
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Neuber GbR\Security Task Manager\Cache
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PCTools\Privacy Guardian\Settings\Clean\Plugins
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Symantec\Norton Confidential
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\NortonSystemInfo
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SymDebug\SPA
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2409303815-2560907337-1375786674-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs\Norton Internet Security
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2409303815-2560907337-1375786674-1000\Software\Neuber GbR\Security Task Manager\Cache
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2409303815-2560907337-1375786674-1000\Software\PCTools\Privacy Guardian\Settings\Clean\Plugins
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2409303815-2560907337-1375786674-1000\Software\Symantec\Norton Confidential

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Norton and McAfee applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. Run both of the removal tools, just in case.

1a. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

1b. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe 

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Right-click on the file you saved in #1a above and select Run as Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

4. Close all open applications, then right-click on the file you saved in #1b above and select Run as Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

5. Test.

NB: I would strongly advise temporarily disabling AntiVir, Spybot Residents SDHelper & Tea Timer, Ad-Aware Ad-Watch, and any/all S*PERAntiSpyware realtime protections prior to installing SP2.

If you don't fully understand what Tea Timer and Ad-Watch do and how they do it, best to leave both of them disabled permanently.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had run the removal tools already, but not as admin, so I reran them as you suggested.  I will retry the install again and get back to you.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I ran SFC /SCANNOW with no errors and reran SURT successfully.

I disabled protections and reran SP2 standalone.  It still fails with EC 800f081f.

This is what I've been getting since September of last year while still successfully installing the rest of the Windows updates.

What about the two bucket IDs? Is that helpful at all?

Are there any logs that I can send you that might help?

I'm about ready to give up on SP2. It's really wasted a lot of my time.   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

At this point, I'd recommend that you take advantage of the free Vista SP2 installation support offered by Microsoft. See my first reply above. Good luck!
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I took your advice, and have engaged Microsoft Support, but haven't heard anything in a couple of days.  Meanwhile, I may have found the solution in another thread from last year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had the same error recently when updating one of my Windows server 2008 and I solved it by turning off UAC (User account control)
Might be of help to someone.

best regards
Gorazd Šemrov
  • Proposed As Answer byallonone Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:00 PM

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should be able to install SP2 without disabling UAC.

Vista SP2 Installation Tips:

• Your computer will restart several times during the installation process: Make certain you've saved your work and closed all open applications before beginning the install.

• Disable (1) your anti-virus application, (2) any real-time system protections afforded by any anti-spyware applications (except Defender), & (3) your third-party firewall (if any) and then (4) enable the Windows Firewall before installing Vista SP2. [In your case, try uninstalling ZoneAlarm.]

• If you're installing SP2 on a portable computer, make sure that you plug-in the power cord and have the battery inserted into its bay.

• Disconnect any external drives (e.g., flash drives) prior to installing Vista SP2.

• The installation process can take several hours to complete, depending on server demand, so be very, very patient.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate your help, Pa Bear, and have great respect for your knowledge and devotion to helping people on this and other forums (AUMHA especially).

I have tried all this and still get the same error everytime.  It never gets far enough to reboot even once.  I have even tried the install in Safe Mode without networking and also in Clean Boot mode using both the 5 language and 3x language standalone packages.  I have no trouble downloading the packages.  The problem is with the install process.

I have found this error (800f081f) in both Windows Update and CBS logs on this computer. It seems to me that they might be relevent, but I can't decipher what they are saying, and I can't find any reference to them in relation to solving this problem.

All the other updates are current and to my knowledge there has been no problem with them.  I use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer, Secunia PSI, and Belarc Advisor in addition to Windows Update to keep everything current.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried uninstalling ZA, rebooting, and making sure the Windows Firewall is enabled before attempting to install SP2 yet?

Have you tried doing a Reset per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058? Tip: Run the Fix It in Default as well as Aggressive Mode if necessary.

If still no joy, you might see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358 or open a free support incident.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 4,037 Applies to: