Vista Service Pack 1 - Downloaded, installed (twice) - and invisible.

Hi Peeps,

I'm running re-installed Vista on an older laptop - 32bit. I recently had to uninstall 'Avast' as it was preventing PC from booting up. Tried installing Norton from CD - no go as machine doesn't have Service Pack 1 installed. Yes it does, I remember doing it. I did it again. There it is successfully installed. Not as far as Norton, and now Kaspersky, are concerned. Checking Computer - right click - Properties - and there's no sign of it under Windows Edition.
I might add that Windows Update is STILL prompting me to download and install it.

Tried Windows Support but just as I'd typed the above they cut me off! yes, there is a word for it :-)

Any help would be appreciated as I'm currently short of Anti-Virus :-(

SB

How long has the computer been connected to the internet without an anti-virus application since you "re-installed Vista?"

When & why did you "re-install Vista" and how did you do it?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for coming back to me so swiftly Robear. I'm secretly feeling a little chuffed with myself having manually downloaded and installed the service pack - it is now visible under Windows Edition. What Windows Update thought it was doing I have no idea. I've re-installed Avast which now appears to be stable with the Service Pack present.
I'm working on my wifes old laptop and had to re-install Vista, the old thing was so slow and bug ridden it was virtually unusable - it now has twice the RAM and has a totally new lease of life - very pleased.
I was connected to the net for a couple of minutes after the re-installation, just long enough to scurry off and download anti-virus. What did concern me yesterday was Windows wanting to verify my email address before it would allow me to use this forum - that, of course, meant opening my email handler whilst I was unprotected. Happily I seem to have gotten away with it.

Once again, many thanks,
SB

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I missed the other part of your question - Vista re-installed from the original disc which accompanied the computer. Apart from the Upgrade issue all has been performing perfectly. SB

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I missed the other part of your question - Vista re-installed from the original disc which accompanied the computer.

Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you got it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

Is KB2898785, KB2893294, KB2892075, KB2901674, KB2893984, KB2887069 and especially KB971029 listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)?

How about Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (KB948465)?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Norton or McAfee? That's a question - it was so long ago we got this computer.

I don't think it came loaded with anything, I had to start with the disc. I think McAfee was an option but I'm pretty sure I didn't load it - I made that mistake many years ago with another computer and had to download a program to unpick it.

Of all the files you mentioned only two are present on installed updates: KB971029 and Service Pack 2 (KB948465) - not a sign of the others installed so far.

However....

There is still something strange going on with Windows update. After my manual installation of Automatic Update installed a host of updates (presume for Service Pack 1) and then installed Service Pack 2 after which, yesterday afternoon, it installed dozens more updates - automatically. However - Windows Update is still insisting there are files to install - these include KB2898785, KB2893984 and KB2887069. Not on the list are KB2892075 or KB2901674.

Service Pack 2 is now visible under Windows Edition.

I shall download these and see what happens next. Tell me do why doesn't Automatic Update look after all of these when it's set up to (I think)?

Many thanks for your help here.
SB

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, it should have read above (para 5) "after my manual installation of Service Pack 1, Automatic Update....etc,etc"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

this is a new windows vista installation, cannot install SP1 or SP2 or ..>N F 3.5  Please help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

to add  tried every way, downloaded a stand alone, ran windows update, got error code 0x80073711 but cannot install SP1 or SP2 or .N F 3.5.  Tried many times.  Sometimes it says installed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

so you're not supporting Windows vista without SP2 anymore?  That is nonsense, bad for customer relations, I just love Android, they are so helpful.   Oh, and IE8 won't download, 'cos you don't support it anymore, I use Chrome.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you did the clean install using the OEM discs that came with the computer, chances are the McAfee free-trialware would have been installed again.

Did you uninstall the McAfee free-trialware (assuming it was listed in Programs and Features) and then download/run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool before you installed any Windows Updates and/or Avast?

Is an anti-virus application installed yet?

Is KB2393802 listed in Installed Updates?

[Automatic Updates keeps offering updates because many of the most recent updates you're missing won't be offered until all Prerequisite updates are installed. All things being equal, you'd be much better off running repeated, manual checks for updates (follow all prompts) until no more security updates are offered.]

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 183 Applies to: