Question

Q: Vista Home Premium cannot update due to error 80070490

A friend's Acer laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 cannot update itself because of error 80070490. Having googled on this I found:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Update-error-80070490

and also

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vistawu/thread/98e71141-5e1f-4010-9502-d7dbf72623cd

So far I have run system file checker, and it came back with errors it could not fix. I also ran System Update Readiness tool, which did not fix it, so I appear to be left with an upgrade install.

As this is a laptop, it does not have a Windows Vista DVD, only an option to burn recovery disks. I have a Windows Anytime upgrade disk, which I tried to use, but the Upgrade option was unavailable. What is the best way for me to run an upgrade install to try and fix this problem.

I tried to run appwiz to remove SP2, but search could not find appwiz, and no MS updates are listed in Programs and Features.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

--

Jim McLaren

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

2. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine?

3. Did a Norton or a McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Peasantmk2,

1.    Which updates are you unable to install?

2.    Have you made any recent changes on the computer?

3.    Why do you want to remove service pack 2 from the computer?

Recovery disks are created by the computer manufacturer and we are not aware how it works.

Windows Anytime upgrade disks cannot be used to perform Inplace upgrade.

In order to perform Inplace upgrade you will need to use same version of Windows vista DVD as the version installed on the computer.

There is no other way of performing Inplace upgrade without using the Windows vista installation DVD.

You will need to arrange for Windows vista installation DVD as same installed on the computer and later use your own product key provided on the laptop.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

You will not find installed update in the list of programs installed on the computer.

See which Windows updates are installed

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/See-which-Windows-updates-are-installed

Hope this helps!

Halima S   - Microsoft Support.

Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Sorry this didn't help.

1. AVG Internet Security 9, Malwarebytes (recently run and cleaned), AVG firewall, but switched off.

2. I installed the AVG on the laptop, which leads to....

3. There may well have been a trial version of either McAfee or Norton which I will have either removed, or opted not to install. The laptop is a couple of years old now, and I can't really remember.

Sorry this didn't help.

1. I am unable to install any updates. Windows update is reporting that the computer has never been updated, and there are no updates listed in Programs and Features in Control Panel (even when clicking on 'View Installed Updates').

2. The only recent changes I am aware of were the last set of Windows updates. It may be coincidental, but the laptop also stopped connecting to her wireless network. I managed to fix this by running an MS fixit tool to change a dhcp registry setting (exact name eludes me at the moment, but I can dig it out if required).

3. The only reason I wanted to remove SP2 is that reading other posts, you cannot perform an upgrade install if the disk you have is older than the OS you are trying to update. I just wondered if this is why I couldn't run the upgrade install from the Anytime DVD. You have however explained why I cannot do it, for which I am grateful, thank you.

OK, I guess my next step is to see if recovery disks were created, and if so, what if anything, I can do with them. Failing that would I be correct in assuming that since the version listed in Control Panel - System is Vista Home Premium SP2, I will need a Vista Home Premium SP2 Installation DVD?

Thanks to you both for your help so far. It is much appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

[1] AVG Internet Security 9, Malwarebytes (recently run and cleaned), AVG firewall, but switched off

[2] There may well have been a trial version of either McAfee or Norton which I will have either removed, or opted not to install

[3] ...so I appear to be left with an upgrade install

A1a. When does the current AVG Internet Security subscription expire?

A1b. Was a 30-day free-trial version of AVG Internet Security installed first AND did you purchase a subscription BEFORE the free-trial period had expired?

A1c. Has the AVG subscription EVER expired in the past, if only for a few days?

A1d. Did you update MBAM before you ran the scan AND did MBAM detect & remove anything?

A1e. Is the Windows Firewall enabled?

A2. Did you download/run the Norton Removal Tool or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool BEFORE you installed the new AV app (e.g., AVG Internet Security)?

A3. An "upgrade install" (AKA Repair Install or In-Place Upgrade) is NOT going to fix this!

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

1a. AVG expiration - I'll need to check, but I think it is March

1b. AVG was bought and downloaded. No trial version was installed.

1c. It's possible, but unlikely. The laptop owner is usually good at doing these things in plenty time.

1d. MBAM was updated, and it did find 1 infection, and removed it. This was the quick scan, not the full scan.

1e. I think so, but I'll need to check.

2. Assuming that either Norton or McAfee was installed I will not have run any uninstallation tool other than the uninstall option in Control Panel, Programs & Features

3. OK.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 939 Last updated: December 7, 2017 Applies to: