Vista - Error Code: 0X80080005 (Windows Update cannot search for updates)

why is it that when i try to search for updates i keep getting "windows update cannot search for updates" error code 80080005?

im stuck on SP1, so i keep getting host process failure messages aswell (svchost.exe)  ive tried alot of the suggestions on here for getting my updates working but none seem to work.

does anyone have a diffinative answer to this problem, as it seems to be extremely common. =/

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2018 Views 3,823 Applies to:

Hi ljdaniels,

1. Which operating system are you using?
2. Which antivirus or any other security software are you using on the computer?

The error code actually denotes that the operation could not be completed due to file system limitation.

You may check if the anti-virus or firewall is blocking the updates to be performed. You may refer to the below provided links and check if these assist you resolve the issue -

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/89a2926d-df28-4cd8-a3c5-ef54af288415/

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/b8e1e690-6fc4-486b-b93a-e673b88643a5

If you temporarily disable any security software for troubleshooting then do not forget to enable it after the troubleshooting gets complete.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

heya, in currently running vista home premium 32bit with mcafee internet security, but was having the updates problem when i had norton 360.

just ran through the davice on the two links you sent but to no joy, am still unable to download any updates, even with disabling my firewall and antivirus, and am still getting the error msg "host process failure ".

allthough i did get a differant error code from windows updater. its now 80072EFD.

Sorry this didn't help.

from what ive gathered on other threads etc the error code  80072EFD means a problem wi internet connection.

so ive tried disabling mcafee, and all other firewalls/antiviruses that may be lurking (windows firewall/defender was all i had on my pc) but still getting same error message even tho internet is working fine and dandy.

i can tell you aswell that the last time i had any updates installed was 31/03/2009 and the most recent check was 01/04/09.

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Download and save the Norton Removal Tool . Close all open programs and browsers. Now run Norton_Removal_Tool.exe and restart once it's finished it's operations.

2. 80072EFD ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT

From: You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates

Windows Vista To remove the proxy server entry from the WinHTTP proxy configuration for Windows Vista, follow these steps:<
  • Click Start , and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  • Right -click cmd.exe in the Programs list, and then clickRun as administrator .

Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or clickContinue .
  • Type the following command and then press Enter:
    netsh winhttp show proxy
    Note The proxy setting is listed next to Proxy Server . If there is no proxy server,Direct Access <no proxy server> is shown in the Command Prompt window.
  • To remove the listed proxy setting, type the following command and then press Enter:
    netsh winhttp reset proxy
  • Click Start , click All Programs , click Windows Update , and then try to download and install updates again.

3. If the system still can not update please copy & paste the last 50 or so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log into your reply.
    How to read the Windowsupdate.log file

MowGreen Update Services - Consumer Security
  • MowGreen

*-343 FDNY -*
    Never Forgotten

Sorry this didn't help.