Video from remote Desktop works but No Audio inputs are available.

I am trying to put together a troubleshooting device to monitor remote radio sites.  I have an older laptop with windows 10 pro(just upgraded from home), that I want to be able to set in a remote radio shack.  I have Audacity installed and have cables built to connect my laptop to the 2 way radio so I can listen and record the audio for a later time.  I have tested the cabling locally and everything seems to work properly.

But when I connect to the laptop using remote desktop, or TightVNC, the mic input(my radio cable) doesn't show up as an input.  The Line-in or Mic selection window does pop up when I plug the cable in, just like it does when I am on the laptop locally.  But it doesn't show up any other way, in any software or pc setting when connecting remotely.  I have searched several forums and community posts that had similar issues but I haven't found any solution that wasn't backwards to my situation.  People want to use a local mic to skype through their work desktop or something like that, there's an option for record local audio that allows that.  I am looking for info on allowing audio inputs on the remote desktop to be used during the remote desktop session.

I purchased a webcam for the device so I could see the radio transmitting(red lights and possible audio from local radio speaker), and the camera works through the Remote desktop session, but again no audio input devices are found(including webcam mic).  If I am on the "test laptop" locally everything shows up.  Is there a check box or security setting somewhere on the "test laptop" computer that I need to check to allow it's audio inputs to be used during a remote session?

This laptop will be on a LAN and not connected to the outside world at any point so I am not worried about hackers listening, but I(and others on the LAN) want to listen.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues in using Audio input in Remote Desktop on your computer.

However, we do have a dedicated forum for issues related to remote computers let me point you in the right direction. I would suggest you to post your query in Windows on Q&A, where we have support professionals to address your query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 9, 2023 Views 226 Applies to: