Very slow upload speed on wired Ethernet connection

I'm currently getting 200 mbps down and 0.3 mbps up on my desktop, wired Ethernet connection. I should be getting 200 down and 20 up.

• On my wireless adapter on the same router, I'm getting ~18 mbps up and ~15 mbps down, which seems the wireless adapter is working fine.
  • I've plugged in another computer with the same cable to the same router port, and got full speed (200/20), so the issue lies within my computer. 
  • I did a transfer of files to and from my computer to another computer connected to the same router and I got the full Gigabit speed both going and coming.

I've searched high and wide over the internet and forums and though many people have had the same issue I have, none of the myriad of solutions proposed has worked for me. 

This is what I've tried to no avail:

• Uninstalled the Ethernet adapter, deleted the drivers, forcing new drivers to be installed again. No change in speed.
  • Thoroughly checked for Virus and malware programs (went through the Registry as well) but didn't find anything, and nothing was installed recently other than windows updates.
  • The only antivirus I have is Windows Defender. I turned it off, and turned off Windows Firewall, but the speeds did not improve.
  • I've tried speed tests with IE, Chrome and Firefox, with different services, and all show similar speeds. I also used FTP to a server I have, and the speeds were the same. 
  • There is no other traffic eating up the bandwidth.

So what I've gathered so far is that my Ethernet adapter is working very slow only when uploading to the internet. Within my network it works fine. 

Could it be a service that is not working well? If so which one? I'm not knowledgeable about the use of all the services. I did check IPv4 and IPv6 and they both seem configured correctly, but I can't say that I'm certain about what "configured correctly" is. 

These are my Specs:

Desktop HP H9-1215t

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

32GB RAM

64 bit

Chip Intel i7-3770

Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)

I would really appreciate some help here since this issue is crippling me. 

Thank you for your time,

Tom

Question Info

Last updated May 30, 2020 Views 27,794 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

By George, you've got it!

For someone who thinks that he's good at googling, I sure could use some improvement!

The key was the explanation link. While I had been close in my different tries, it goes to show that even when you sort-of-kinda-maybe-think you know what you're doing keep your paws off unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

The answer was definitively the Large Send Offload, but it was a little more tricky, at least to understand what really happened. Disabling it did do the trick, but now I have it working with a v2 enabled and it's working like a charm.

I'm going to detail what I think happened here for those who may have similar issues so that they (you) may be able to figure it out, as all adapters are different and may require slightly different settings.

I live in an area where until now the fastest upload speed I could get was 2 mbps, on a good day, it usually averages 1~1.5 mbps. Download speeds ranged between 5 ~ 20 mbps.

I do a lot of video work and I constantly upload large files to my servers. I got the computer described above about 8 months ago, and my old one (2 yrs old) stayed on my home network.

For a week or so, I have been cursing my ISP because internet was slower than usual and very glitchy. I tested my speed and got 20 down and 0.2 up, repeatedly. I was paying for 20/2 so I endured the long call and technology-challenged representative to "assist" me. Only option was to wait a week for a technician to come out to my house, but, he pointed out shooting down my prejudice, though not before me asking, that there was faster internet speeds available at my place. 200/20 which is 10 times what I had, so of course I went with it. In doing so the representative asked me to go in and swap my modem/router for a new one to handle the faster speeds.

When I replaced the modem/router I found that the download speeds went from 50/0.2 (after the new speed request but still with the old router) to 200/0.3~0.5 with the new router. I also had a E2000 Cisco Router that I turned into a switch, which had been also bogging down internet speed (now that they were much faster). But still the upload speed didn't really improve.

This long and winding story is so that you (reading this with a similar issue) might find the answer for your particular problem.

Looking back when I stated that the issue was in my computer since the old one was getting the high speeds was not entirely accurate. The "problem" was beyond my router, though the solution was in my settings with the LSO setting. The "problem" was not really a problem since what I see (guess) happened is that my ISP has been upgrading equipment, and the settings on my new pc became an issue while paradoxically not so in my old pc.

My old pc has a "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" and with the IPv4 LSO setting enabled it was having no problems, under the new set of ISP circumstances. 200/20 mbps.

So when I compared the setting to my new computer, it never crossed my mind that disabling it would solve the issue.

My new pc has a Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20). This adapter has an "IPv4 LSO" setting plus a "IPv4 LSO v2" setting and a "IPv6 LSO v2" setting. I don't believe my ISP is using the IPv6.

In my quest to fix the issue I placed all the above setting to Enabled, to no avail, and in my fog didn't reverse those settings.

With all 3 Disabled, it worked fine, but I got a 5~10% improvement on the upload speed with the IPv4 LSO v2 enabled and the other disabled.

There is no way that the ISP's representative on the phone could know this, so calling them would not/did not solve the issue. Even waiting a week for the technician most likely would not have solved the issue as he would have measured on his laptop full upload and download speeds.

I'm sure this is going to become a more common issue as home internet speeds start to soar (thank you Google!), so hopefully this helps those with similar issues.

To sum up:

Go to Start->Control Panel->Device Manager->Network adapters->Your adapters name (mine is Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20), right-click then select Properties. On the Advance tab, find property Large Send Offload (IPv4) and change its value to Disabled then click OK.

If you have a Large Send Offload (IPv4) v2 try setting that to Enable (with the other one disabled of course).

Hope this helps!

And thank you George.

Tom

48 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Thanks a million!  I'm glad I found this solution George and you have posted.

My MSI laptop has a Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller(NDIS 6.30) #2.

Disabling LSO(IPv4) fixed slow upload speeds when wired!!!!

I was at .5 to .6 when I should get 5-6 down. No other machine of mine has this issue. The Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260#2 worked great on uploads.

I started to notice places like weather.com with a lot of ads - really were stalling out and taking forever to load in, which lead me to some speedtests....

MSI forums supposedly had some people with some luck doing some stuff, but none of that worked for me.   Usual steps were adjust settings in Killer Network QoS, install latest Killer QoS..  Other odd steps of removing the adapter and installing Qualcomm Atheros drivers from Qualcomm (I didn't try that one).

I found another place that suggested upgrading router f/w (did that also).

Now I can love my laptop even more again and not hate MSI.

19 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.