very slow install of updates to windows 7

the windows updates that my compaq (windows 7 home premium) laptop downloaded today (15june) are taking forever to install.  it has been installing update 5 of  17 for over an hour now.

Question Info

Last updated May 20, 2019 Views 70,912 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

I would suggest you to follow these steps and check if it helps:

Method 1:
Try running Windows Update troubleshooter and check if it helps:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

Method 2:
Try performing clean boot and check if it helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

NOTE: After you have finished troubleshooting, make sure you put back the computer to normal startup mode as suggested in step7 from the above KB article.

Hope it helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm having the same problem now after the last updates from 6/16/2011.  My new laptop (less than 3 weeks  old) was working perfectly.  After 18 updates yesterday  I could no longer connect to my home wifi, although my two desktops (non Win 7 Home Premium 64x) connect just fine.  All are devices getting 12mb down and 5 up.
I rolled back 8 of the security updates and I was then able to get on to my home router. But now I can at max get 1.5mb down and .5mb up.
Not sure what happened but these updates first turned my laptop in to a non-connecting brick, and now I'm getting slow and unreliable connections when trying other wifi hotspots.
I've tried all other types of tweaks I researched on the internet to improve network speed, but nothing is working.
(Writing this post from my University connection, which I normally get 10mb down speeds, now I'm running at 0.44 mb -  95% decrease in performance!)

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried the clean boot and the troubleshooter - no success
Then I tried systematically uninstalling as many of the updates that occurred on 6/16.

It worked! After removing these two updates, my laptop is back to 12mbps consistent DL speeds and up to 20mbps bursts, with 5-7mbps upload speeds.

Here's what I removed:
First
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2478663)

Second
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2518870)

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Understand, a new OS was released.  When VISTA was released, XP updates had problems, Windows 10 is released and Windows 7 starts having problems.  Root cause is that Microsoft provisions their premium resources to what they are promoting to be their more relevant OS, then they tell us to look at the problems with Windows 7 but also make sure to point out how great things are with Windows 10.  The Microsoft solution:

If you have problems with Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 10.

24 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My problem is I upgraded from Vista to Win 7. When I shut down I get the message of updating as many as 256 updates. All is well for a while then at a certain point, say 159 of 256 updates it will stay there for as long as 8 hours or more and never move on to 160 and beyond. I Turn MS essentials off and shut down; everything is normal with no notification of updates. Do I have updates or not? and if I do, with MSE turned on how can I get the supposed 256 updates to install? I do not have any other anti-virus program installed as of yet, just MSE for now.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've seen that happen before.  You tried to apply too many updates all at once.  In that case, what you would do is to select a subset of updates (maybe 75) and install those, reboot, install 75 more, etc.  However, you've already moved past that point.  The easiest thing to do is start with the basics.

Do you know what update was installing when it started having an issue?

After the updates, did you reboot and let Windows finish updating locked files?  Did you tell Windows Update to check for updates again (following the reboot)?

Sorry this didn't help.

After upgrading to WIN7 from vista for about a week I would power down the computer when not in use. When I powered back on the next day or later in the day, I checked my updates and loaded those as needed. The situation occurred when I powered down and received the message that it was updating 256 updates. It would hang up for hours on 159 of 256.

I did some troubleshooting by turning off MSEssentials and discovered that the machine powered down with no updates needed. I uninstalled MSE powered down and reinstalled MSE, requested updates after installation and noticed I needed 46 updates, ran the updates and it stalled for one hour about a third of the way through. WIN7 reported all my updates were installed, so I uninstalled MSE and installed a pay for anti virus (Kasperscy) and have had no problems since.

Hope MSE is not having a glitch all my other computers use MSE. I guess if anyone has this problem and have MSE installed maybe they should turn it off and see when powering down if the issue reoccurs.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I don't accept this answer. It is very true that since Windows 10 came out, windows update has been near death slow, but please don't forget that a lot of computers are under a corporate environment and they still won't upgrade for a quite a while for good reasons (budget, compatibility issues, etc.). It's unfair to just say "upgrade to Windows 10" so you'll get faster update speeds. Microsoft should have enough brains inside their company to make everybody happy in regards on how to deal with this.

Sorry this didn't help.

This may help some;

I upgraded from xp to win7 on a Dell Inspiron 5100 that had 2GB of ram . Extremely long waits; hours. Put in a ram drive enabled for Ready Boost , in this case 32 gb but size isn't too important as long as it's bigger than  file download. This led to much more rapid d/l's and installs of updates.

Sorry this didn't help.

I just waited 1 hour and 15 minutes while windows update just CHECKED for updates - had to quit while it was still looking! I'm running a legit version of windows 7, but microsoft wants to force windows 10 on all of us yesterday. My response: I will become an Apple convert if Microsoft is going to treat us this way.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.