Very slow boot time with Windows 10 Pro on SSD

I recently updated my Windows 8.1 64-bit laptop to Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.  The change has increased the boot time from 10-15 seconds to around 80 seconds.  The laptop boots, does the POST, displays the Windows loading gimble, then sits there with a blank screen until the login screen appears and I can login; the login is quick.  Once the laptop is up and running it's as quick as before, it's just the total boot up time that's increased 5 times.

The event IDs I see are sometimes a bit random but the one thing I see regularly are Kernel-Boot events 18, 32, 25 and 27 in that order.  The time taken from the event preceding Kernel-Boot event ID 18 to Kernel-Boot event ID 18 being logged is usually about 70 seconds.

Kernel-Boot Event ID 27 - The boot type was 0x1.
Kernel-Boot Event ID 25 - The boot menu policy was 0x1.
Kernel-Boot Event ID 32 - The bootmgr spent 0 ms waiting for user input.
Kernel-Boot Event ID 28 - There are 0x1 boot options on this system.

BTHUSB Event ID 18 - Windows cannot store Bluetooth authentication codes (link keys) on the local adapter. Bluetooth keyboards might not work in the system BIOS during start-up.

So in this case the time delay between BTHUSB Event ID 18 and Kernel-Boot Event ID 18 was 72 seconds.  I get regular events logged about my bluetooth adapter not supporting low power options, but that's usual and has happened since Windows 7, so I don't think that's it.  I've updated all the drivers I can find and the laptop is on the latest BIOS.  Before the upgrades the boot time was very quick so I doubt this is a hardware issue.

HP ENVY 14, Intel i7 (8 processors), 8GB RAM and Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB.

fwiw

i7 two core Lenovo laptop with 850pro 128gb.

Takes about 3 seconds from the moment I first see the blue window logo to the login screen .. and instantly see desktop after I key in the PIN.  And can start IE instantly and surf the net or I think open any typical windows program instantly and begin using it.

What happens to boot time if you start msconfig and disable all non Microsoft services  and disable most if not all in taskmanager startup ?     Sounds like something is bumming your boot time.

Or just download the media creation tool to make yourself an iso, double click it and run its setup to do an inplace upgrade to your upgrade.   Fixes lots of things fast.

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Mike P.  I've never thought of doing an in-place upgrade of an upgrade before, but it could do the trick.  I know I can go through the process of disabling services but that could take a while so I thought I would ask before I start that process.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The in-place upgrade of Windows 10 didn't solve the problem so before I started disabling services I had another search.

I found the following - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-very-slow-startup/2f283ad6-5b5d-4d34-9440-de6bf291e857.

Lots on useful tips but the section relating ULPS was, in some part, very useful.  I disabled ULPS and now I have a boot time a third of what it was.  It's still not what I had with Windows 8.1 but it's not so annoying.  I suspect that as I have a relatively old laptop with an old graphics card (an AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series) this is the best I'll get unless AMD release some more drivers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem is resolved.  My laptop got quicker over a few days and now the total boot time from switching on, POST and Windows start up is 20-25 seconds.  Disabling ULPS was the answer for me.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows Update pushed an update labelled Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series and again my laptop was taking 80 seconds to book.  So again I disabled ULPS to solve the problem.  However this time I have to modify both EnableUlps and EnableUlps_NA keys in the registry.  I'm glad I have a solution to this problem but it looks like each time the display adapter driver is updated I'll have to follow the same procedure.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE DELETES OVER-PROVISIONING ON SSD!

After upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 I experienced the same slow boot issues. This wasn't anything to do with what was happening IN Windows -- the delay was happening before Windows started, and continued after I rolled back to 8.1 (my Lenovo X220 was not fully compatible). I realized that it must be something that had changed on my SSD and I finally found out what it is:

The Windows 10 upgrade process deleted the over-provisioning space on my SSDs!! I had set up 10% for over-provisioning with Samsung Magician for both my Samsung SSDs and after the upgrade it was gone from both drives. After re-applying 10% over-provisioning with Samsung Magician everything returned to normal after around 24 hours. It wasn't immediate, probably because the drive firmware needed time to get its references set up again.

If you have a Samsung SSD you just need to reactivate over-provisioning with the Samsung Magician utility. If you have a different brand you will need to re-activate it using the method you used to set it up in the first place. Make sure you have a backup, because any changes to hard disk structure are potentially dangerous. 

Info: Over-provisioning space is free space that an SSD needs to use to replace bad sectors. When sectors go bad they are marked as bad and the firmware uses sectors from the over-provisioning space instead. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Over provisioning is only additional space to the tune of 20% of used space

One does not have to use Over provisioning

The only thing people need is sufficient extra unused space.

Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 7, 2022 Views 12,586 Applies to: