Very low volume Samson c01u Windows 8 and 10

Hi all,

I used the Samson C01U for quite a while. Everything worked fine in Windows 7. But since Windows 8 the volume is extremely low. You only get decent sound when you put it at 100% but that creates a lot of background noise. Anything lower then that and I hear nothing anymore. Upgraded to Windows 10 recently hoping that it would be fixed yet the same issue appears. Already tried the solutions in this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/windows-81-usb-microphone-volume-is-extremely-low/69e3a777-06fe-4096-9eaa-edf953ac9198?page=5 

Any new ideas? If there is no fix I guess I have to revert back to Windows 7

Thanks for the help!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Have you had any luck with this issue? I came here from the previous thread and nothing there worked, I have both USB & XLR Microphones and they are terrible to use with windows 8.1. If I have the same problem in windows 10 I will be reverting back to windows 7. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry no luck yet. Hopefully microsoft fixes this issue or a user might have a helpfull solution. I don't have anything yet.

Will keep you updated!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue that cropped up after 'upgrading' to windows 10.  A Astro Gaming headset using a USB mixamp.  The volume level is so low that the microphone barely even detects anything.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled all relevant drivers, I've swapped USB ports, I've done everything I can thing of, I'm rolling back to Windows 7 until they fix this ****.  This is just crazy, I really liked windows 10 up until this point.

I even tried taking my headset and moving it from the mixamp to the front jacks, I was told it sounded like I was shaving under water and talking at the same time.  I have 0 issues with Win 7.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well it seems like Microsoft is the only one that can fix this. What's dumb in my eyes though.... It clearly has to do with win 8 and 10. Yet they don't do anything! While I think the solution is to get back whatever it was from win 7 back to 8 and 10. That can't be hard right? So it should be fixable.

Keep you posted if I find a solution.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I’m using Samson QU1, a solid USB mic. I can confirm there is no solution to the loudness problem other than roll back to any other OS, except for Win 8 and Win 10. It has nothing to do with microphone drivers, but some coding mistake or intentional feature in Windows that incorrectly calculates loudness level for USB microphones. There is software (like http://www.actualsolution.com/volume-lock/) that clearly shows the correct level, but it cannot go beyond Windows limitations.

From Microsoft’s perspective, there is no problem, since any USB microphone is working to some extent. Since the problem persists since Windows 8 era, I assume the limitation has been put intentionally and is NOT going to be fixed. I can only guess that the previous loudness control scheme somehow caused problem to some devices, so the coders have decided to put a general loudness limit.

Possible solutions:

1) roll back to Windows 7/Vista, install Linux or something else and stay forever;

2) sell your USB mic and buy something else;

3) some reports show that a virtual Windows 7 system (like using VirtualBox) works well, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply first!

I would like to criticize some of the points you've made.

As you may read from the posts above, it's not only happening with usb mics but also with analog mics. Now as far as drivers concerned, I am aware that its not a driver issue because as you siad it works fine on Windows 7 and before.

Now regarding to what you siad that it it's no issue for Microsoft I disagree. Why? Because that means the market that uses mics regularly ( Recording artists, Youtubers, podcasters etc...) they are going to lose that intiere market. Don't think that's a good idea, because that way that market wil not grow with the company and not going to spend money on a OS ever again.  

I indeed think that its a decision the coders made though. About that your right certainly, and I don't know if Microsoft cares enough about mics not working that remains to be seen. Espacialy because the issue exists since Windows 8

Now the senond solution you offered is useless sadly, cause as you can read from the comments above it's not only my type of mic but also analog. And the third solution seems useless for me.

This reply was not to hate or somthing, Just what I thought!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote]Now regarding to what you siad that it it's no issue for Microsoft I disagree. Why? Because that means the market that uses mics regularly ( Recording artists, Youtubers, podcasters etc...) they are going to lose that intiere market.[/quote]

I strongly doubt they will lose anyone. Windows 8 has been for ages now, Youtube has been only expanding and very few people are concerned. I guess it’s because those who make videos use neither USB, nor 3.5 mm jack mics. Most casual people nowadays no longer use external microphones with their laptops / netbooks / tablets, mics come integrated and work probably 100 % fine with Win 8/10.

I’m not defending Microsoft because the company has made one of my expensive devices a complete garbage offering no solution whatsoever (except maybe to buy professional hardware that costs hundreds). I’m just trying to make sense of why it has not taken any steps for 2 years now since the beginning of Windows 8.

Should Microsoft fix this? Definitely! Will they do it? Probably not.

BTW, yesterday I tried Windows 7 as a virtual machine. It doesn’t work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well,,, a lot of Youtubers that I watch do use external mics because its all about quality these days on Youtube.

Intresting what you metioned though! I am curious to see if internal mics do work. None the less if indeed the usb/analog mcrophones do not wotk they probably stick with Win7 the same goes for producers and independed artists like myself. So yes they should fix it but I am afraid they won't:( My friend recently asked me why I did not upgrade to Win 10 when I told him my mic was the only reason, well he was very upset. But it is as it is.

Thanks for the conversation man! Nice to talk to you. Feel free to reply!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

P. S. I’ve just plugged in my old and cheap 3.5 jack mic to the sound card. It barely records anything with everything amplified to the max. It was bad even on Win 7, but this is completely ridiculous.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I’m curious – it’s extremely unlikely that your friend doesn’t use any microphone. Didn’t he notice the same problem as you have? Or is he fine with it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 1, 2021 Views 14,547 Applies to: