Verizon/AOL e-mail setup for Windows Mail app and Outlook

i have a Windows 11 Dell XPS computer (2021) and am finding it hard to set up Verizon/AOL e-mail on either the home Windows e-mail app or in the Office Outlook e-mail app.

I know that since Verizon's e-mail migration to AOL there came some changes about June or July of this year that affect Windows computers handling Verizon/AOL e-mail...

And that is where the problem lies! I used to be able to follow these steps to establish e-mail in the Windows e-mail app:

1. Hit search box and then click on SETTINGS

2. In SETTINGS click on accounts

3. On next screen click on E-MAIL AND APP ACCOUNTS

4. In next window click on ADD AN ACCOUNT

5. In ADD AN ACCOUNT scroll down to SUN SYMBOL. Click on this for ADVANCED SETUP

7. In ADVANCED SETUP click on INTERNET E-MAIL

Next come a series of categories where the rectangular squares need filled in:

E-MAIL ADDRESS [I put *** Email address is removed for privacy ***]

USER NAME [I put *** Email address is removed for privacy ***}

PASSWORD [i put in my AOL/Verizon password]

ACCOUNT NAME [I put in AOL Verizon E Mail]

SEND MESSAGES USING THIS NAME [I used my first and last name]

INCOMMING MAIL SERVER [I put pop.verizon.net:995]

ACCOUNT TYPE [I put pop3]

The next 4 have checks marks to the left beside them [uncheck the last 3]:

Outgoing server requires authenticatioin

Use same user name and password for sending e-mail

Require SSL for incoming e-mail

Require SSL for outgoing e-mail

After doing so, more categories appear and have to be filled in:

OUTGOING (Smtp e-mail server [i put smtp.verizon.net:465]

Fill in OUTGOING SERVER USER NAME [ same as user name above]

OUTGOING SERVER PASSWORD [same as password used in PASSWORD]

Then went back and checked the 3 unchecked boxes and then hit SIGN IN

And.....still no mail .....!!!

I even tried the suggestions Kevin-MSFT had if setup of MAIL for OUTLOOK did not work and there were:

Go to login.aol.com/account/security and log in with your Verizon [AOL] E-Mail account and password

Click on ACCOUNT SECURITY, then click on GENERATE APP PASSWORD

From the select your app drop down menu under the app passwords window select OUTLOOK [for Outlook] and fill in

Windows 11 E Mail [for that mail app]

Then click GENERATE [password] and copy that password

Go back to CHANGE ACCOUNT SETTINGS and paste generated password [for whichever mail app it was generated for]

Hit CONNECT

Suffice it to say that hasn't worked either in Windows 11

Am i formatting/imputting the info or settings wrong or are there some extra steps i am missing?

Any help anyone can give regarding this in Windows 11 would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi BgRd. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.
Have you tried configuring Advanced POP or IMAP settings for Verizon AOL yet following this guide: https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i-set-up-o...
Here is how to set up those Advanced mail POP or IMAP settings in WIndows 10 Mail or Office Outlook mail:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/set-...     
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-...

It's not widely known but all Internet providers maintain a Support department to help customers connect to their email (or else they are not competitive).  So you can contact your Verizon Support chat or phone to get this personalized help if nothing else works.

Feel free to ask back any questions. Please report back results for all steps given so I know what else to suggest if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

same problem and the feedback was no help. AOL does not provide any support.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It all of a sudden stopped working for me too. I can get onto AOL mail from Mac, iPhone, aolmail.com but not Outlook.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See my post for December 6th. 2021

However, i have read that a very recent Microsoft update may make Outlook e-mail not work and Microsoft has not found a fix for it yet!

But, as of today (January 10th, 2022) my Microsoft mail app with Verizon/AOL e-mail still works fine!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Using Outlook 365 on Windows 11. I get the following lengthy error message regarding my Verizon AOL mail.

"Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for [my.name]@verizon.net. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'"

I am also running Norton VPN which never caused this problem with Outlook 365 and my Verizon account before updating to Windows 11.

When I open accounts in Outlook, all of my current email addresses are listed. When I click on my verizon email to repair the settings, I noted that outlook defaults to a connection with yahoo: imap.mail.yahoo.com. Each time I attempted to change this, it reverted back to the yahoo setting and I got, yet again, the same error message as above. I manually changed the imap setting. I manually changed the stmp setting to stmp.verizon.net as noted in the troubleshooting steps - but this, too, reverted back to a yahoo link when I clicked on update all mailboxes. The above error message popped up - at least 4 times.

The main reason for utilizing Outlook is to streamline incoming emails. Going back and forth between network links is tedious and wastes more time that I have available. I have my work account and several personal accounts. I'm frustrated, in case you couldn't tell. All I want to do is access all my email in one place.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue. Outlook has failed to work since 12/20/2021.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i just opened my verizon/aol e-mail in Office 365 Outlook today (January 11th, 2022 @ 12:28 P.M. [eastern time]) and had no problem seeing my mail. It is the same mail i have in the Microsoft E-Mail app and rightly should be since i linked Outlook mail with the Verizon /AOL mail i receive in the Windows Mail app.

I don't have any other e-mail accounts [like G-Mail] set up in Outlook so i can't tell you about those , but my Verizon \/A.O.L. e-mail is currently working fine !

To note: It is also the same mail i receive on my iPad Pro 11 (2021) so whatever update Microsoft recently did that affected a lot of Outlook Mail users, has not affected my Dell XPS Windows 11 computer!

But, then again, if you don't have your mail going through the Microsoft e-mail app 1st and linking with Outlook, i don't know what the outcome would be! [MEANING ........ IF YOU JUST HAVE ALL YOUR E-MAIL STRICTLY SET UP TO

ONLY go through Outlook i can't tell you wheither or not the settings [with an AOL generated password] would work!]

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem for me. I have gotten my Verizon mail thru Outlook for years now.

A few days ago it stopped coming into Outlook. I can see it by going to the AOL mail site but Outlook seems to want to use a Yahoo server now.

Just hopeful, but has anyone got this fixed?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get the same weird yahoo server every time I try to reset it to verizon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As I said in my December 6th post all my e-mail [Windows 11 mail app and Outlook ] work just fine now! If you want to have your Verizon/AOL e-mail work fine in both apps you need to follow the steps outlined in that post which includes logging into your AOL account and requesting a password for whichever one specific mail app you request it for . The password is specific so if you request one for Outlook you have to go back and request another password for Windows 10 mail app.

I also outlined all the settings/ steps in that post so either use them and receive your mail or ignore them and just not get your mail!

I blame both Verizon and AOL for making things difficult for their customers instead of making it easy for their customers to get their e-mail!

But, then again, if it was too easy, I guess just about anyone could hack your e-mail and who wants that!

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2024 Views 14,690 Applies to: