Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home

Hello,

I have 2 laptops, one old(1st) and other new(2nd).

The 1st laptop had Windows 7 Home pre-installed which was later upgraded to Windows 8 Pro through Windows 8 Upgrade Offer. This again was upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free.
The 2nd PC came with Windows 10 Home pre-installed.

I recently read that a Windows 10 Home can be upgraded to Pro with Windows 8 Pro key, so I tried using the Windows 8 upgrade offer key in Activation settings of the 2nd PC. It accepted the key and gave me the option to start the upgrade process. It did not ask me to pay any additional fee.

Please the me the consequences of going through with process. Will it successfully change the 2nd PC to Win 10 Pro, or will it ask for money later? If I need to pay, I don't want to upgrade.

And the Windows 8 Pro key I used was of the 1st PC which was used as basis for the Free upgrade offer to Win 10 Home on 1st PC. What will happen to the 1st PC's license. Will it be invalidated as I'm using it to upgrade Win 10 Home in 2nd PC?

Answer
Answer
Hi Santosh

In general if the original licence that was installed on a PC is retail, then any upgrade like the one in that screenshot, inherits the retail licence status. If the original licence was pre-installed (OEM) then the upgrade also inherits that status

Honestly, from your initial screenshots, that licence key seems to have been accepted, so I would presume there will be no charge. If there was anything wring with that licence key, it would not be accepted . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
In fact is strange, but if you have a Windows 8 or 7 Pro license, you will get a Windows 10 Pro license; on the other hand, a Windows 8 or 7 Home will give you a Windows 10 Home. So I think that you had a Windows 10 Home because of the preinstalled license.

If that's a RETAIL license, like I think, it will be transferrable.
No, you shouldn't have any additional fees.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 10, 2022 Views 166 Applies to: