Using Security Essentials in Windows 10, vs. Windows Defender?

So I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, last month. I was running Security Essentials in 7, and to my surprise it is still running in 10. I was under the impression that MSE was incompatible with 10 and that it would be removed automatically and replaced by WD. Well, it's still running, it seems to be still updating its definitions, and doing its automatic scheduled scans just as it has always done before.

I didn't think too much about this before, but I notice that after every reboot, I always get the message "Windows Defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your system. If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status." So checking Action Center shows that MSE is running properly, but if so, why should I get the warning about Defender?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Microsoft Security Essentials, is NOT compatible with Windows 10. You should uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials and restart your PC and it will turn on Windows Defender.

Technically, Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials are using similar detection engine, while for Windows 10, Windows Defender enhanced due to new security features in Windows and it has better protection.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

When I try to uninstall it, it tells me that "[I] don't need to install it"! Meaning that it won't let me uninstall it because it won't allow me to install it. Yet somehow it's already been installed and already running there.

Note: the error message I get is "Error Code: 0x8004ff6f".

I found this problem seems to be similar to mine:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/what-is-the-meaning-of-error-code-0x8004ff6f-when/ceda8c13-6b8e-4380-ad15-625660e6b7d9

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, last month. I was running Security Essentials in 7, and to my surprise it is still running in 10. I was under the impression that MSE was incompatible with 10 and that it would be removed automatically and replaced by WD. Well, it's still running, it seems to be still updating its definitions, and doing its automatic scheduled scans just as it has always done before.

I didn't think too much about this before, but I notice that after every reboot, I always get the message "Windows Defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your system. If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status." So checking Action Center shows that MSE is running properly, but if so, why should I get the warning about Defender?

@ BlackJacques

See the Answer of GreginMich in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating/windows-defender-real-time-protection-is-off/f93699de-4d9c-490a-96c8-b3c73d9a2166

Regards…

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@ BlackJacques

See the Answer of GreginMich in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating/windows-defender-real-time-protection-is-off/f93699de-4d9c-490a-96c8-b3c73d9a2166

Regards…

I have tried the command, as the other thread said:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\setup.exe" /x /disableoslimit

And it made no difference, I still got the exact same message as before.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

(Sending this post again because a link was not working...)

Perhaps Option d) in this wiki works for you?: Uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials From Windows 10 After An Upgrade

If not, perhaps option a) or b)...

You might want to read: Everything You Need to Know About “Reset This PC” in Windows 8 and 10

May 4, 2018: I won't participate anymore in MC. Enough is enough.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please use a third party uninstaller.  The removal of legacy Trojan removing registry information, is all important here.  Use revo if you are prepared to pay after the trial or the open source choice:

http://geekuninstaller.com/download

When all else fails hard delete the registry entries through the above software and then scan for leftovers.

History is not ended. It will sooner or later take up the threads apparently broken off forever and knit them together in a new pattern.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Assuming Windows 10 64-bit...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting this post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the Win7 computer?

1b. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Dell; HP; Lenovo; Acer)?

2. When (exact date, preferably) did you upgrade to Win10?

3. Was the upgrade offered & installed via Windows Update or did you upgrade to Win10 manually?

4. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@ JustinStrachan

Don't know why you reply to me...

If I would be in the situation of  BlackJacques, I'd prefer doing: Learn how to start fresh with a clean installation of Windows

(article is mentioned in 2nd link of my prior reply)

May 4, 2018: I won't participate anymore in MC. Enough is enough.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There was no mention of Trojan. Please do not confuse Microsoft Security Essentials with Trojan.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

(Sending this post again because a link was not working...)

Perhaps Option d) in this wiki works for you?: Uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials From Windows 10 After An Upgrade

If not, perhaps option a) or b)...

You might want to read: Everything You Need to Know About “Reset This PC” in Windows 8 and 10

Yes, I also tried uninstalling it while making the uninstaller run in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

As for resetting the PC, that's not going to happen, I'll just wait for Microsoft to come up with a real solution at that point. It is their responsibility afterall.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 30, 2022 Views 6,368 Applies to: