user sign in just spins for windows 10

After I boot and  sign in as a listed user, the password is accepted, but it just spins.  If I reboot and sign into the main account, I can get in normally. Then if I switch users back to the only other listed user, it will sign in normally.  Why

Hi Betsy,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are unable to start Windows 10 since it get strucks after login. I will certainly help you.

Sometime corrupted User Profile will causes this kind of issues. I suggest you login to your main user account, create a new account by following the steps mentioned below and see if the problem persists:

1. Press Windows logo key + I and navigate to Accounts > Your Account > Family & other users.

2. On the right panel, click Add someone else to this PC under Other users.

3. If you have another Microsoft account try to use that or else follow the steps to sign-up for new and switch with new

Microsoft account.

4. Sign-out from the old and Login with new Microsoft account.

5. Once you're sign-in with new User Profile, check whether the issue persists.

Refer below article more information on creating a new user account.

Create a user account

Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Betsy,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are unable to start Windows 10 since it get strucks after login. I will certainly help you.

Sometime corrupted User Profile will causes this kind of issues. I suggest you login to your main user account, create a new account by following the steps mentioned below and see if the problem persists:

1. Press Windows logo key + I and navigate to Accounts > Your Account > Family & other users.

2. On the right panel, click Add someone else to this PC under Other users.

3. If you have another Microsoft account try to use that or else follow the steps to sign-up for new and switch with new

Microsoft account.

4. Sign-out from the old and Login with new Microsoft account.

5. Once you're sign-in with new User Profile, check whether the issue persists.

Refer below article more information on creating a new user account.

Create a user account

Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

I was hoping I would not have to delete and re add account.  May I ask how, for the Main Account, you can change the Name that displays on the sign in screen.  I do not want to change the password or associated email, just the name.  Currently SUZANNE need to change to BETSY. Thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Betsy,

Thank you for your reply.

I suggest you to change the name on your Microsoft account.

Follow the steps:

1. Sign in to the Your info page on the Microsoft account website.
  2. Under your name, select Edit name. If there’s no name listed yet, select Add name.
  3. Edit or add the name you want, then choose Save. Your Microsoft account name will start to appear or change everywhere you use it.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are happy to assist you.

Thanks & regards,

Abdul Malik

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2023 Views 1,373 Applies to: