"Use the other installation disc that says 64-bit. When you insert it, Windows Setup will restart automatically." Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade failed.

Sir,

I have downloaded Windows 10 iso file using Media Creation Tool. After the download finished, I took the iso file and made a bootable USB device. Now, when I try to open setup.exe, I get the following error :

"Use the other installation disc that says 64-bit. When you insert it, Windows Setup will restart automatically."

Its a kind request. Please help me out with this. I have attached necessary details and images below.

-----------------------------------------------

System Specification:

> Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

> RAM: 4GB (2GBx2)

> HDD: 500GB Hitachi HDS721050DLE630 ATA Device

> Processor: Intel Pentium G620 2.6 GHz

Error Screenshot:

Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually, this error occurs when you try to install or upgrade Windows 10 32 bit version on 64 bit operating system. If you have created a bootable media from a PC running on 32 bit operating system it will download 32 bit ISO.

Have you downloaded the ISO from the same PC which you are trying to upgrade?

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

1.     Download the ISO from a PC which is running on 64bit architecture and create a bootable media. I suggest you to refer the article under Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC for steps to create a bootable media.

2.     After creating a bootable media you can use the created media to upgrade to Windows 10. Refer section Using the installation media you created for steps to install Windows 10 from the above link.

Note: Upgrading your PC will save all your application and data. I suggest you to take a backup of your data to stay on a safer side.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M               

Microsoft Community – Moderator

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 17,536 Applies to: