usb mouse and keyboard won't work after login post the Windows 10 1703 update.

usb mouse and keyboard won't work after login (i.e. I can't interact with the PC) post the Windows 10 1703 update.  I have a Dell XPS Desktop.

Here's the behaviour I'm seeing

1) When I switch on the PC it goes though it's boot sequence and brings up the login screen.  At this point the usb keyboard and mouse work.  

2) After I enter my username and password I'm logged in but the keyboard and mouse will not work.  I've tried rebooting, switching ports but it does not work.

any ideas?

Drivers. If you can find a way to unistall your drivers and reboot so that Windows installs a generic driver for keyboard and mouse, that should do the trick. If not, I suggest check your manufacturers website if they have updated drivers compatible with Widnows 10 1703 creators build.

One thing I can think of for you to be able to interact with your PC is to do a safe mode.

On log-in screen, do:

Click start. > Press and hold Shift key. (don't release it) > Click Power > Restart. > Troubleshoot > Startup Settings.

Unistall drivers or do a clean boot on the next restart. Windows will enable default drivers for everything. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 9, 2020 Views 753 Applies to: