USB keyboard and mouse not working in XP

I have a Dell Vostro 400, which only has a USB keyboard and mouse.  The keyboard and mouse work fine in Vista and Fedora, but have stopped working in XP Home SP3.  I have read the forum postings from others with this problem, but the solutions there do not help me.  The keyboard and mouse do not work in safe mode or safe mode with command prompt.  Power is removed from keyboard and mouse within 1 second of the XP flash screen appearing, so the BIOS is no longer used to communicate with them, which is normal.  However the XP driver for the USB controller is then not loaded, which is not normal.  After about 2 minutes the Found New Hardware wizard appears, but I cannot click on any of the buttons because the keyboard and mouse are not working.

According to setupapi.log the problem is that a coinstalled driver, CnxClsCo.dll, for a Connexant USB ADSL modem which I am no longer using, is unsigned.  That is preventing the driver for the Intel ICH9 chipset, which provides USB support, from loading.  I have tried renaming the unsigned driver, but then it complains it cannot find it and still will not let the ICH9 driver load.  I have tried using an offline Registry editor to disable the services CnxEtp, CnxEtU and CnxTgn, which are the only Connexant services I can find.  Is there any way of disabling the coinstalled driver?  I can't find anything in the Knowledge Base for coinstall.  I have a backup I could use, but I can't find anything which tells me how to restore from a backup without being able to start XP.

Is there a Registry setting to tell the Found New Hardware wizard just to go ahead without prompting?

Another problem I have is that my XP installation disk is for an upgrade from ME.  It doesn't seem to be possible to boot from it.  I just get a blank screen, although there is a long period of disk activity.  Are upgrade disks not bootable?

Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated July 30, 2019 Views 4,806 Applies to:

Hi,

I would suggest you to refer the link below: How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs, and replace product manuals: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

Since you mention that you have an upgrade disc (Windows ME to Windows XP disc) which you are unable to use to boot. It might be because the disc does not include Service Pack3.

You need Windows XP installation disc to complete a repair install.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply.  My installation disk only includes SP1.  It had occurred to me that it might not support my current installation.  I have read some articles about slipstreaming SP2 and SP3 on to a copy of the installation disk, and I was thinking of trying that.

What I really want to know is how coinstallers work, and which Registry keys to delete to remove the link to the unsigned coinstall Connexant driver, which I don't need, and which is blocking the Intel ICH9 chipset USB controller driver from loading.  So far I have not been able to find anything in the Knowledge Base on this.  Can you tell me where I should look?

I have also been trying to get the Found New Hardware wizard to run without needing keyboard or mouse input.  I have added a new key
HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching
with DWORD values of 1 for the names
DontSearchWindowsUpdate
DontPromptForWindowsUpdate
DontSearchCD
DontPromptForCD
DontSearchFloppies
DontPromptForFloppies

That gets me past the first screen of the wizard, but it then stops at the next screen when it asks whether it should install automatically or select from a list.  What key do I need to set to get past that?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have done it.  There is a key
HKLM\System\ControlSet003\Control\CoDeviceInstallers
which has two GUIDs
{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE103183}
with the value
CnxClsCo.dll,ClassCoInstaller

I deleted both values.  When I restarted XP the lights in keyboard and mouse again went out.  After two minutes when the Found New Hardware wizard would have appeared I heard the two tone sound of a USB device being connected, and the lights in both keyboard and mouse came on, and they were both working.  Next time I re-booted the lights went out as usual about 1 second after the splash screen appeared, but came on again about 5 seconds later.

My next problem is how to get rid of the software for the Conexant ADSL modem completely.  It does not appear in Device Manager, but it does appear in Control Panel.

One oddity is that I added a key
HKU\.Default\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsNT\DriverSigning
with the name
BehaviorOnFailedVerify
and DWORD value 0
The same key got copied into HKLM.  However when I go to Control Panel System Hardware Driver Signing the Warn radio button is set, but the 0 value ought to have set it to Ignore.

Added:  I also found out how to restore a backup offline.  The program is called ntbackup.exe.  My backup was of the system state shortly after I installed XP, SP2 and SP3, but it was not able to restore it.

Sorry this didn't help.