USB Hub not recognized

I am running Windows 10 on a Dell XPS. I have one free USB port. I bought a USB hub to gain access to multiple USB ports -for an external camera and a headset. When I use each separately, they work fine without the hub. When I plug the USB hub into the free port, nothing is recognized. or when it finally is, the devices stop being recognized after a few minutes. Please advise. Thanks. Eileen

Hi Eileen. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, here to help you.

USB hubs are notoriously finicky. It often requires a powered hub. Here is how to troubleshoot it:

https://www.rshtech.com/blog/how-to-quickly-fix...

https://www.instructables.com/USB-Hub-Quit-Work...

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/usb-hub...

https://superuser.com/questions/1699269/why-do-...

https://atolla.us/blogs/news/troubleshooting-us...

https://buyersguide.org/usb-hub/t/powered?m=b&a...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbSN0e2taTg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtTg6pHP9FA

Report back results for each step so I know what else to suggest.

Feel free to ask back any questions. Based on the results you post back I may have other suggestions if necessary.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you. I will try your suggestions and report back.

I have a J5Create USB 3.0 hub and a Dell desktop - probably USB 2.0 ports. When i plug each device in directly to the desktop, they are recognized. My issue: I have 2 devices and one free port!

Thanks.
Eileen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm happy to help, Eileen.. Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Greg -

Thanks for all of your suggestions and very informative articles. What ultimately worked (and we'll see for how long) is unplugging and plugging back in all of the connections many times. I even see the camera and headset in my list of devices!

I tested the all the connections on Friday and about 15 minutes into my meeting, I lost the camera and headphones - quite embarrassing. Could it be a power issue?

I realize my desktop is quite old and so are the headset/microphone but the camera and usb hub are new - and I thought that the magic of a usb hub would cure all ills.

I will continue to monitor the consistency of the connection. I do appreciate your help. Can I provide a review of your assistance?

Many Thanks.
Eileen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again Eileen-

Yes, indeed, it could be a power issue with the PC or the hub. If the hub gives you further problems you might want to try one of the powered ones I included in the resources I gave you, along with a guide for helping determine whether a powered hub might be needed.

Let me know if I can help further. I'll stay subscribed to this thread in case you need anything else, until the system locks it in a few months.

Also if any particular post provided the solution, please mark it as Answer or Helpful to help others who find this thread.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Greg -

Thanks - I have the j5Create hub that is powered. Everything was working fine until a few minutes ago. 

Now the devices (which were recognized) are not - via the hub.

I'll try changing ports again.

Thanks for your help.

Eileen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Eileen -

The problem could be older USB controllers. In addition to the steps I gave earlier to troubleshoot USB hubs, I would also troubleshoot the onboard USB with steps here:

1) Try all other USB ports to compare.

2) Update your Chipset and USB drivers from the PC maker's Support Downloads web page for your full model number, HP Serial Number, or Dell Service tag from the sticker on PC.

While there check that you also have the latest chipset, BIOS, display, network, bluetooth, USB and all other drivers, compared to the ones presently installed in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start button.

Compare the latest drivers with the ones presently installed in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start Menu. Make sure you have the latest BIOS, Chipset, Display (Video), Sound, USB3, Bluetooth, Network and all other drivers, or else download and install the latest now.

If no newer or this doesn't help, then go to the USB category in Device Manager, open each Enhanced, Hub and Host controller, from Driver tab select Roll back if available, or if not choose Uninstall.

If your keyboard and mouse are USB, first program the power button to effect the needed restart after Rolling back or uninstalling the driver. Go to Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings > Choose what Power buttons do to choose Shutdown.

Finally open the USB controller drivers, from Driver tab choose Update Driver, then Automatically. If that doesn't help then choose Update Driver > Browse > Let Me Pick to try all previously installed drivers queued there.

3) Go over this checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs get done: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Start with Step 4 to turn off Startup freeloaders which can conflict and cause issues, then Step 7 to check for infection the most thorough way, then step 10 to check for damaged System Files, and also Step 16 to test a new Local Admin account. Then continue with the other steps to go over your install most thoroughly.

4) If nothing else works then do a Repair Install, by installing Media Creation Tool and then choosing to Upgrade Now. This reinstalls Windows while keeping files, programs and most settings in place, and is also the most stable method to advance to the latest version. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Greg -

Thanks so much - sorry for all of the questions. I will try your suggestions tomorrow.

I removed my devices from the hub a few times and reconnected them and now it's working. It's almost as if my PC loses its connection to the hub or the devices lose connection to the hub.

Right now it's working but I know it will stop working after a few hrs.

I forgot to mention that the PC is a pretty old desktop.

Again, thanks so much - you have been very helpful.

Eileen

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, you did mention it's an older desktop which drew my attention to the USB controller as possible problem. So I gave you some things to try for it.

It could also have an insufficient Power Supply, even with the powered hub.

Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 6,923 Applies to: