usb device not recognized after resuming from sleep

I have an HP Pavillon Series PC and an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 All-in-one A909g Printer. The pc has Windows 7 Professional SP1 installed. I have been on 6 chats with HP Support Assistant Tech's about this problem and it remains unresolved.

Not every time, but frequently when I leave the PC idle, it goes to sleep (hard drive and monitor) when I return and wake the computer, in the lower right hand corner of the Desktop I see the message "USB device not recognized...etc" All I have to do to connect it again is turn off the power and turn it back on and things are fine until the next time. Since HP hasn't been able to fix it in 6 tries, and some were an hour or so long, I thought it may be something in Windows 7. The printer works just fine outside of this problem and I can just keep turning it off and on but it would be nice to have it working correctly.

Any and all help appreciated!

Jerry

Hello,

Perform the steps from the link mentioned below and see if it helps.

How to troubleshoot USB device problems that may occur after a PC that is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista resume from sleep or from hibernation

Hope this information helps.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

How to troubleshoot USB device problems that may occur after a PC that is running Windows 7 or Windows Vista resume from sleep or from hibernation

I have done both of these procedures and for 2 days now have not seen the error.

Hope this does it.

Thank you very much for your help

Jerry

Jerry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Glad to know that the issue is fixed. Let us know if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I have done both of these procedures and for 2 days now have not seen the error.

Hope this does it.

Jerry

But then again is hasn't gone into the sleep mode either. One of these two changes is keeping it from sleeping. I'll change them back one at a time.

Thanks

Jerry

Jerry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Hope this does it.

Jerry

But then again is hasn't gone into the sleep mode either. One of these two changes is keeping it from sleeping. I'll change them back one at a time.

Thanks

Jerry

I am having a very similar problem. USB doesn't work after computer wakes up from sleep mode. Sometimes it will start working after 15-20 minutes and sometimes not at all. I've seen similar issues with the SD card reader. 

Both settings for USB in advanced power settings are set to "disable".

I've also followed the instructions as listed below, but the "Uncheck the option to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power and click OK" option doesn't exist anywhere when I click on (or right click on) any of the USB items listed in Device Manager.

How to troubleshoot the problem To troubleshoot this problem, try one or more of the following methods:

• The "USB selective suspends settings" option in the Power Options may be Enabled.
    • Click Start, type Power Optionsin the Search box and then click Power Options from the returned list
    • Click Change plan settings for the selected Power plan
    • Click Change advanced power settings
    • Expand USB settings and then USB selective suspend setting and change the setting to Disabled for the option for On battery: or Plugged in:
    • Click OK on the Power Settings window and click Save changes on the Edit Plan Settings window

Important: This is a default power setting , disabeling this setting will cause additional battery power consumption when your mobile PC is in Sleep or Hibernation mode and unplugged.
  • The "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting in Device Manager may beEnabled.
    • Click Start, type Device manager in the Search box and then click Device Manager from the returned list 
    • Click to expand USB Root Hub and click the Power Management tab
    • Uncheck the option to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power and click OK

Note: You may see multiple listings for USB Root Hub, uncheck this option for all USB Root Hubs.
    • Close the Device Manager : 

Important: This is a default power saving setting, disabeling this setting will cause additional battery power consumption when your mobile PC is in Sleep or Hibernation mode and unplugged.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with Dell Optiplex 7020 and Elecom-SMI USB flash memory in my company.

The USB-flash drive is not recognized (shown as "unknown hardware") after almost every wake-up from S3-sleep. This happens when connected to intel USB2 controller.

BUT! There was a strange thing, some time ago. In USB3 port the drive lost its "removable" property. (i.e. no click for safe removal).

And it was not disappearing from the system during that period.

After I pulled it out and inserted it into the back-panel port, it became "removable" again and started disappearing.

So, there's probably a correlation between "removable" property and USB drives disappearance from the system after sleep.

Or, probably it only happens with Microsofts USBSTOR.SYS, while Intels iUSB3xxx.sys drivers do not have this disease.

One more note.

I tried setting "AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads=2". The system became awfully slow  and non-responsive... And the USB drive was not detected on the system's boot.

I have Windows 7 upgraded to Ultimate (upgraded on the top "7" of preinstalled by Dell) with latest updates.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with Dell Optiplex 7020 and Elecom-SMI USB flash memory in my company.

The USB-flash drive is not recognized (shown as "unknown hardware") after almost every wake-up from S3-sleep. This happens when connected to intel USB2 controller.

BUT! There was a strange thing, some time ago. In USB3 port the drive lost its "removable" property. (i.e. no click for safe removal).

And it was not disappearing from the system during that period.

After I pulled it out and inserted it into the back-panel port, it became "removable" again and started disappearing.

So, there's probably a correlation between "removable" property and USB drives disappearance from the system after sleep.

Or, probably it only happens with Microsofts USBSTOR.SYS, while Intels iUSB3xxx.sys drivers do not have this disease.

One more note.

I tried setting "AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads=2". The system became awfully slow  and non-responsive... And the USB drive was not detected on the system's boot.

I have Windows 7 upgraded to Ultimate (upgraded on the top "7" of preinstalled by Dell) with latest updates.

Hi  I 'm having the same issue in Windows 10. A usb device is not found after reboot or hibernation - works when i replug it - strange

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 26,048 Applies to: