USB 2.0 drivers for Windows 8.1 (64bit)

Intro/Problem:  I installed 64bit windows 8.1 on an old computer.  Everything was working fine, except the motherboard maxes out at 2GB RAM (and I saw a capacitor had blown out) so I bought a newer motherboard (MSI G41M-P33 combo) that still supported the old CPU (Pentium D).  The USB ports are not working on the new motherboard once Windows boots up (but they work in the BIOS e.g. I can use my USB keyboard to set the BIOS). I have a PS/2-usb adapter on hand so I can still use the mouse and the onscreen keyboard to work in windows.  When I try to update the USB drivers through device manager, I get a message saying the drivers are not compatible with Windows.  

To elaborate: there is not a warning icon by this item: Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC

But it looks like each USB port is listed separately as a subset of the above item, with a warning icon over them.

QUESTION: Where can I find USB 2.0 drivers for Windows 8.1 64 bit? Google searching is not helping me much.

My other option is to deactivate these USB ports and just buy a PCI card with USB ports on them.  Would these also require special drivers that might be problematic?

Thanks in advance,

-Paul

Hi Paul,

I can imagine the inconvenience you are experiencing at this moment. I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if it helps.

What is the make and model of the computer?

Method 1

Run the fixit using the link below as it can automatically diagnose and fix problems with hardware.

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

http://support2.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/?wa=wsignin1.0

Method 2

Performing Windows updates. Running Windows Update will check for operating system updates required for your computer. You may refer the steps mentioned below to check for updates. If you find any pending updates then install and check.

Windows Update: Frequently Asked Questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-update-faq

Method 3

If still the issue persists then update the Chipset driver and update the  BIOS from the manufacturer’s website.

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk. 

Hope this helps. Please let us know the status of the issue.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

They are part of the motherboard chipset drivers which you get from here..

http://www.msi.com/support

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, but I already had the most up-to date drivers.  It's an older board and they don't support it anymore.  I was hoping to find some third party or generic drivers that could work.  I solved the problem with a Windows 8- ready PCI card that had USB ports on it.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, I already had the most updated BIOS and drivers, and windows updates.  I think the board was just too old and they don't update it anymore. Anyway, I solved the problem with a windows-8 ready pci card with USB ports.

-Paul

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Lack of support for older stuff is a problem and I can see myself having to do that in the near future, or shell out for a new board and bits..
Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 28,519 Applies to: