USB 2.0 driver issue after Windows 10 2004 update

After installing the Windows 10 2004 update I lost both my keyboard and mouse.  Discovered this is due to a USB 2.0 issue.  Connecting the kybd / mouse to USB 3.0 ports on an expansion board allows them to operate with no issue.  I cannot boot my system this way, have to move the keyboard to a 2.0 port for boot-up then back to a 3.0 port for Windows.

My system is an older Dell tower, Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controllers.  In Device Manger the USB Host Controllers, Root Hubs, and Composite Devices all show to be OK.  Only the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller lines indicate an issue.  The properties page says to 'Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18)'  I've had Windows search my drive and the web for updated drivers.  No updates found and failures each time I try to reinstall the current drivers.  BTW, I've uninstalled all the USB ports and Root Hubs, rebooted the system, same conditions afterward.

USB memory sticks seem to work OK in the ports, only the keyboard and mouse are affected.  And the keyboard works OK in a 2.0 port prior to Windows loading.

Answer
Answer
Hi DonGee'nNC,

My name is Erik. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you with your concern.

Just for the information (Code 18) is a corrupted or damaged device driver. So, Uninstalling and Reinstalling Device Driver may fix your issue permanently. Just uninstall the driver from Device Manager and install the latest version of the compatible driver. since you mentioned that you try to search for the updated drivers for 2.0 USB and no updates found.

This is the same problem I've experienced in my desktop computer when I've updated it to windows 10, 2.0 USB is not working and I need to use the USB 3.0 on the front panel of my desktop which I'm not comfortable because the wired connection in the front, so the best thing that I've done is to used PCI-E card with USB 3.0 ports. and that's work well to my moused and keyboard.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Regards,

Erik

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 1,945 Applies to: