Upgrade windows 10 1903 problem freeze and blue screen

After updating to version 1903 I get only blue screen The freezing system is unusable I have to restart the whole system from the button

Question Info

Last updated November 18, 2019 Views 14,176 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi UsAdrian

Are you actually able to get into your PC?

If so:

BSOD's are generally caused by a corrupt or incompatible device driver, to diagnose the underlying issue, I need to analyse your Mini-dump file(s):

Open Windows File Explorer

Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump

Zip up the contents of that folder

If you have problems zipping those files, copy them out onto your Desktop and zip them from there

Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)

Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

If you cannot get into your PC:

Start your PC, just as Windows attempts to load (spinning dots), press and hold Power Button for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a Hard Shut Down

Do this twice

On the third start Windows will boot into the Recovery Environment and from there you can access System Repair, Safe Mode, Command Prompt . . . etc.

Please try each option one at a time, then see of Windows will boot . . .

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - Revert to previous build of Windows
If available, this would be the best option . . .

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - Startup Repair
See if Windows startup can repair itself

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - System Restore
Check to see if you have a restore point you can go back to

If you do not have a Restore Point, go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - Startup Settings and click Restart
Upon restart, press 4 to enter Safe Mode
Once in Safe Mode, backup your data if you do not already have a backup
Open Device Manager and check to make sure all your Drivers are up to date
Reboot to see if Windows will start Normally

If the above fails, go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Reset this PC
Choose to keep your files and apps, just your files or to keep nothing
Then start the Reset

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a computer (Intel CPU, 2017 BIOS) that I attempted to apply the 1903 upgrade. It was running 1803 just fine, but now boots into the "Personalize Settings (Not Responding)" error, and when I attempt to load Task Manager to trouble shoot, Task Manager will not even load. This computer refuses to boot now in any way I have tried. The above article did not help at all. I have also tried to revert back to the previous version of Windows (using the option provided by WIndows) and I get the message that this cannot be done. It appears my only option at this point is to format the drive and reinstall Windows 10 from a DVD and then reinstall ALL MY APPS.

Not good!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

When I start my laptop it says preparing to repair and then I get a blue screen with US outlined and it freezes and cannot get it to move.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem.  When my explorer locked with the "personalized settings" window displayed I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the task manager which did not respond either.  The lowe right hand corner of the screen did, however give me the powe button which I used to restart.

Other people have suggested shif-clicking this powe button to reboot into safe mode, etc., but I have no time to debug MS updates.

Thank God for Macrium update.  I have it configured to run backups every night.  Its free and it works better than Windows update!

Sorry this didn't help.

After updating to version 1903 I get only blue screen The freezing system is unusable I have to restart the whole system from the button

Hello from Germany.

I try to help you. First, if you use an internal Soundcard like the ASUS Essence STX2, replace it with a Soundcard like the Creative Titanium HD. Internal Soundcards that use extra power from your Power Unit might cause problems. To check this, put your Soundcard out off the mobo, then Install your Windows 10 back again.

Secondly, check if your RAM Modules are fitted really into your motherboard. If you do not hear 2 clicks while seating them, then push harder into the socket.

Third, check if you used metal liquid as paste for your CPU. If so, your CPU memory controller might gotten a damage.

But i think you use option 1. A Soundcard, that has problems with driver signing from Windows. Like the STX 2. Or any other Soundcard from ASUS (i can only guess it).

Do a clean install of Windows without your Soundcard. And then pray.

Regards,

DI

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi UsAdrian

Are you actually able to get into your PC?

If so:

BSOD's are generally caused by a corrupt or incompatible device driver, to diagnose the underlying issue, I need to analyse your Mini-dump file(s):

Open Windows File Explorer

Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump

Zip up the contents of that folder

If you have problems zipping those files, copy them out onto your Desktop and zip them from there

Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)

Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

If you cannot get into your PC:

Start your PC, just as Windows attempts to load (spinning dots), press and hold Power Button for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a Hard Shut Down

Do this twice

On the third start Windows will boot into the Recovery Environment and from there you can access System Repair, Safe Mode, Command Prompt . . . etc.

Please try each option one at a time, then see of Windows will boot . . .

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - Revert to previous build of Windows
If available, this would be the best option . . .

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - Startup Repair
See if Windows startup can repair itself

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - System Restore
Check to see if you have a restore point you can go back to

If you do not have a Restore Point, go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - Startup Settings and click Restart
Upon restart, press 4 to enter Safe Mode
Once in Safe Mode, backup your data if you do not already have a backup
Open Device Manager and check to make sure all your Drivers are up to date
Reboot to see if Windows will start Normally

If the above fails, go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Options - Reset this PC
Choose to keep your files and apps, just your files or to keep nothing
Then start the Reset

Dave as an Arsenal Fan i would be quiet. You advises do not help him. My advises are better ;=)

I think he uses a Soundcard or he got metal paste on his CPU to cool it better. Maybe he damaged his memory controller of the CPU. But i guess he uses a Soundcard internal. That has problems with driver signing from Windows. Cheers.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a computer (Intel CPU, 2017 BIOS) that I attempted to apply the 1903 upgrade. It was running 1803 just fine, but now boots into the "Personalize Settings (Not Responding)" error, and when I attempt to load Task Manager to trouble shoot, Task Manager will not even load. This computer refuses to boot now in any way I have tried. The above article did not help at all. I have also tried to revert back to the previous version of Windows (using the option provided by WIndows) and I get the message that this cannot be done. It appears my only option at this point is to format the drive and reinstall Windows 10 from a DVD and then reinstall ALL MY APPS.

Not good!

Then put your Soundcard out, install windows clean. What happens then? Feedback is allowed. :=)

·

Sorry this didn't help.

When I start my laptop it says preparing to repair and then I get a blue screen with US outlined and it freezes and cannot get it to move.

Hi Shirley. Do you use an internal sound card?

If so, use the drivers from your soundcard from your mobo. After you installed all clean from an USB Stick again. Install all clean. What happens then? Feedback is always allowed.

Regards,

DI

Sorry this didn't help.

@Dave

Your advises are such nonsense, you do not really help the people. You just point on not relevant stuff! As if you are from Microsoft. You are an Arsenal Fan that tells all. Shame, shame. My advises are really for help. You only copy and paste. Their drama is about drivers or incompability of hardware in Windows 1903. And you only write do a system repair and such PIEP. Thats not leading into a cure, dude. Find the cure from the root. Do not post stuff many already know.

Regards,

DI

Sorry this didn't help.

All,

The problem I was having used the sound from the mobo. No third party sound card involved in this issue.

I am an experienced builder and this particular problem is something I have never seen before. When I first got the computer to fix, it would not boot up at all. It appears it had gotten "stuck" on a prior Win10 update. I managed to get into Advanced Options and back to a prior restore point. It then restored to Win10 1803 from that prior restore point. However when I attempted to update to 1903, it downloaded the files, got partially through the installation, and then would not boot up. The 1903 update erased all prior restore points so that was no longer a valid option. I did not know that would happen. The only successful solution was a reformat of the boot drive (an SSD) and reinstall of Win10 from a DVD. Once that was up and running, I completed all available recent updates and did NOT allow the 1903 update to run. The computer is now working.

I will not update any computer to 1903. I will wait for the next release instead and cross my fingers that it is rolled out with higher quality.

Sorry this didn't help.