Updating Windows 7 Error Code 80072EE2

(Recent checks for update is never due to me doing a system restore to try and fix the issue, the updates from today at 1:25pm was from restarting my computer after the restore)

Hey People, I've recently tried upgrading to Windows 10 but after a few moments of attempting to download it automatically closes the upgrade tab and opens to the Windows Update page but I found that every time I try to update I get this error as shown in the picture above.

I've searched all over online for fixes to the issue including FixIt, WindowsUpdateDiagnostic(Troubleshooter?) and some other fixes people have mentioned in posts dating back to 2010 including deleting the AU in the system registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU but my registry doesn't have a WindowsUpdate section in the registry, Heres an image to show.

After trying to fix my issue for a few hours last night I finally gave up and did a system restore to my computers original state on a backup I saved from 2014 when I first bought my computer. Everything went well, ran the update as soon as the restore was complete it downloaded 128 updates when I restarted my computer after running the update. Then when the computer update was complete I ran another manual check for updates just to make sure my OS is the current version but still no dice. Still getting that same error code when I try to update Windows. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The default update clients can't handle some of the most recent updates. Install KB3161647, included in the June 2016 Update Rollup.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608

Regards, VZ

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey VZ! Thanks for the fast response, I appreciate it.

But in regards to the KB3161647 manual install I installed it and restarted my computer and ran another update but i'm still getting the same error code. Do you know of any other sort of fix? Or additional manual Windows updates that could fix my problem? Thanks.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If this helps at all, just re-ran the troubleshooter and this was the response.

37 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The default update clients can't handle some of the most recent updates. Install KB3161647, included in the June 2016 Update Rollup.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608

Regards, VZ

Following a hardware failure and repair, I restored a 5-month old (May 2016) WindowsSystemImage (W7U64) onto my machine after it returned from Alienware Repair DEPOT.  The restore went ok, but Windows Update wouldn't work (80072EE2 error code) (it did used to work before I made the image back in May).

I clicked the link above to KB3161608 (released June 2016) and was redirected to a page showing that KB is now superseded by KB3172605, released 20160721 (July 2016 update rollup).  I downloaded and installed the 605 update, then rebooted and started Windows Update.  After a few minutes it retrieved a long list of updates and allowed me to initiate installation.  I ran all the 'important updates' and a few optional updates, while rebooting a few times to get them all.  Problem solved.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605 (fixed Windows 7 Update)

98 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2024 Views 70,260 Applies to: