Updating to windows 11 taking forever

I decided to upgrade my laptop to windows 11. After downloading and installing, it said it needed a restart. I waited until I went to bed to restart it, around 2:30 in the morning. When I wake up before 7, the computer screen is black and says "Working on updates 1% Please keep your computer on."

It is now 4 PM in the afternoon and it says: "Working on updates 4% Please keep your computer on."

Why is this taking so long?

Hello YouDon'tGetMyName,

Good day! I'm John DeV a Windows user like you and I'll be happy to assist you today. I know this has been difficult for you, Rest assured, I'm going to do my best to help you.

Please wait another hour and see if the process will continue. If not, Please try to perform a hard shutdown by pressing the power button for 5-10 seconds. This will undo the changes made by the reset.

Please try the following methods below.

**Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter

Press Start then click Settings(Gear icon)
Select Update and Security > Troubleshoot
Select Additional troubleshooters
Under Get Up and Running, select Windows Update
Run the troubleshooter

**Make sure Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer services are available and running.

Click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search text area, and then click services.msc in the programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
If the Startup status lists Stopped, click Start and then click OK. If the status is Running, right click then select Restart

Double-click Windows Update.
If the Startup status lists Stopped, click Start and then click OK. If the status is Running, right click then select Restart

**Reset Windows Update Components
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset...

Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.

Kind regards,

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 17,219 Applies to: