Updates have stopped installing, error code 800B0001. All known fixes have failed.

Problems started in early May/late April.  It was taking up to 20 minutes to boot the computer and it seemed that Windows Update was getting hijacked or something. After a week of scans and Microsoft "fixes", I finally entered the Windows 7 DVD and started the repair feature last night.

All seemed great.  Boot was under 1 minute. I ran Windows Windows Updates, installed 83 of them. The computer rebooted and I re-ran Windows Update and I got the following error: 800B0001: Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

I have followed instructions on how to troubleshoot - including using Microsoft's "Fix it" and nothing is working. NOTHING.  I am at the end of my rope here.....

I'll provide any info needed, someone please help.

Hi Cookndonh,

What all troubleshooting steps have you tried to resolve this issue?

I would suggest you to follow the steps from the link and check if it helps.

Windows Update error 800B0001

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

My update fails and tells me I need to download the updater in order to download updates.I swear that's what it said.It's ridiculous.I suspect that it did update,I just cant get it to show...so it seems to fight itself.The only time I seem to have had any problems with this computer,it's because of a screwy update.
I appreciate any help.Thanks.

I tried the standalone updater,the microsoft updates section of the (fix-it's) downloads and no go with any of them.I get the error code of 800B0001 followed the directions for that,and it freezes up and never completes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i've tried everything short of total system redo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem. None of the recommended actions are helpful.

The System Update Readiness Tool fails to find any problems, according to its log.

Repairing Windows is not an option. That requires a Windows DVD, which I do not have. (My computer is an HP that came with Windows preinstalled.)

The "Fix It!" automatic troubleshooter also fails to correct the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi everyone,

Same problem here even though my Windows Updates are always set to the (Recommended) settings.

As the previous users of this post have mentioned, I've followed all of the steps as well as running 'Fix it' to no avail.

I did come across some other recommendations but thought to better ask before I delve into any system logs/registries. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi everyone,

Same problem here even though my Windows Updates are always set to the (Recommended) settings.

As the previous users of this post have mentioned, I've followed all of the steps as well as running 'Fix it' to no avail.

I did come across some other recommendations but thought to better ask before I delve into any system logs/registries. 
System update readiness tool worked for me.You have to be patient,because it looks like it gets stuck.Unfortunately,I cant find the link,as this was several weeks ago.I beleive I found it by going through the fixit's,them not working,and then 'Find more answers" option.Good luck.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply, greatly appreciated ;)

I've tried the 'System Update Readiness Tool' several times with no such luck (included the link in case anyone needed access to it).

I've ended up manually rebooting my whole system just to get rid of this Windows Update Error. Unfortunately, I've got a new problem on my hands.

I'm trying to re-install McAfee (2012) to my computer but I keep getting 'Error 7305' whenever I try to install. This is somewhat random as I was already making use of this software before.

I will keep searching for solutions before I inevitably contact their support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

For more information about how to back up the registry, refer the link:

Back up the registry

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

Refer to the link and try to reset Windows update components:

How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
Rohit S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had used the CheckSUR and Microsoft Fix IT, and these have failed.  Please advise.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 29, 2019 Views 5,343 Applies to: